Search Unity

Feature Request Pause Option? Project will not Load Without Internet

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by Bmco, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Bmco

Bmco

2021.3.6f1, Version Control Package 1.15.18

I like Plastic and want to use it. However, the constant disruption of 20-30 second waiting every time my scripts recompile is wearing on me (non Plastic jobs do not do this for me).

I'm looking for ways to still use Plastic, but temporary disable it. One idea was to turn my internet off. Unfortunately, my project (which uses Plastic) will not open now (the dialog hangs on "Waiting for UnityEditor.CoreModule...". This is slightly alarming. This is in addition to the same behavior when I'm not logged in (Project will not open). My only solution to get back into my project is to create a new project, add the repository (this causes the "Join" domain dialog to open. Once rejoining the domain, I can open my existing project.

All Syncing services are disruptive (Box, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.)...but all allow you to temporary disable the syncing. Plastic must add this feature if they cannot resolve the other problems.

2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

You should be able to just remove the Version Control package if you don't want to use it. By the way, what is your Version Control package version? I want to be sure you are using the latest one.

Could you provide more details of this recompile time and how this is related to Plastic? Are you referring to the refresh of the "Pending Changes" view in the plugin?

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. Bmco

Bmco

Just for the record, I WANT to use Plastic. The extra wait time began around the time Plastic was implemented. There was a lot of shrieking going on about Plastic and I hopped on the band wagon (whether justified or not, is TBD).

My apologies for mixing two issues into one post. Versions: Editor - 2021.3.6f1, Version Control 1.15.18

Main Issue : If I log out of Plastic through the editor, I will get the dialog saying "Error - Can't Find Host..." I can get this dialog by logging out myself or if I lose internet, I'll get the error dialog 3 times. Then if I try to do something after that, the editor will give me the waiting mini dialog and will go forever. If I close Unity and re-open, it will hang forever on the dreaded "On Gui Repaint" mini dialog.

The only known work around for me was to start a new dummy project and join that project to Plastic. This forces me to re-login/re-join Plastic. Then, I can open my other Source Control projects with out a problem.

My suggestion about a Pause button was to have the Plastic Plugin for Unity not require valid credentials all the time. That way, if I lose/don't have internet, I can still work locally. I typically only push once per day. So to have it on and constantly monitoring changes is unnecessary (especially if it's causing my extra wait time issue).

Lesser Issue : The extra 20-30 seconds after every change in code. I just learned this may have to do with me still using VS 2017, so I need to explore that first before blaming Plastic.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
  4. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi, Apologies for the delay.

Plastic SCM functionality can be temporarily disabled in the Unity Editor by removing the Version Control package from the project via Package Manager. Then, when you need it again, you can re-add it in the same way.

Hope this helps!

5. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

I should add! We are adding an offline mode to a new version of the Version Control package in the very near future! Watch this space.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  6. Bmco

Bmco

Offline Mode would be great. Thank you!

7. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

HI @Bmco, it should be already available in the last package version.