Search Unity

Pause and resume game -- kinematic vs physics

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by brainfire9, Nov 25, 2015.

1. brainfire9

brainfire9

I have been working on a Breakout style game for Android, currently lettings physics handle the ball bouncing all over. I also have objects (e.g. points, powerups) that can fall from bricks once they've been destroyed, just letting gravity do the work on the object Rigidbody2D at the moment. I would like to pause the game when the Options menu button is tapped, but setting Time.timeScale to 0 actually pauses the animation of my Options menu sliding into place.

Taking a different approach, if I create a temporary float and Vector2, store the Rigidbody2D angularVelocity and velocity, zero them out on the rigidbody then set isKinematic to true, it pauses the ball just fine. I can then "unpause" by setting the velocity and angularVelocity back, isKinematic = false, and everything seems to be working.

Except for the objects that drop from the broken bricks.

I've started to address this by creating a tag called 'freezable', thinking I can go through the array of objects on the screen, store all values, and handle it the same way I stop the ball from moving ... this doesn't seem very efficient though.

I thought of just setting the objects that drop (powerups and stuff) to always be kinematic, then I won't have to store their velocities (just decide what speed all objects should drop at), but do you take a hit on performance by mixing physics and kinematic objects?

Would it be better to set EVERYTHING to kinematic?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

2. Azmar

Azmar

uTime asset package, has pause/resume game and only 2$ on asset store...could save you a lot of trouble? I tested it when it was free and worked fine for me!

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

passerbycmc and BenZed like this.
  4. brainfire9

brainfire9

5. brainfire9

brainfire9

I'll have to check out the asset, if I can ever get this game finished I wanted to play around with the timescale stuff more in an infinite runner.

Thanks!