Search Unity

Pathtraced image remains noisy

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by nicolasfischoeder, Dec 30, 2019.

1. nicolasfischoeder

nicolasfischoeder

Dear community,

I am currently experimenting with Raytracing on my GTX1070 with Unity 2019.3.0f3 and HDRP version 7.1.7.

When I attempt to use the path tracer in my scene, I am getting a noisy image no mather how high the maximum sample count is set, especially on glossy surfaces. Sadly, it has not nearly the quality of the pictures described in the docs.

How can I improve the rendering quality? What the docs say, is that I should crank up the maximum sample count, however that does not seem to have any effect. Could this be related to the fallback mode for rtx of my 1070?

All the best,
    Nicolas

2. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi Nicolas,
    If you compare the images produced with different sample counts are they exactly identical ?
    Could you post maybe 128 samples and 1024 samples ?
    In my case when I try rendering the template scene with 1024 samples the results are pretty clean but I do have to wait for quite a while for it to finish on a 2060.
    I suppose you have noticed the progress bar that appears at the bottom of the picture ? since it's not shown on your screenshot I imagine the progress bar was filled and cleared ?
    upload_2019-12-30_14-0-28.png
    Here is the result I'm getting with 1024 samples. There is still a little bit of noise (not sure it's visible here).

It's important to note that even with 1024 samples there will be cases that produce noise like very bright and small emissive surfaces as shown below. I changed the maximum intensity to accentuate the issue.
    upload_2019-12-30_14-6-44.png

So it could be a bug and you're not getting the sample count you asked for, or it's just regular noise.

3. nicolasfischoeder

nicolasfischoeder

Hey laurenth,

thank you so much for your quick reply! As a matter of fact, when I set the Intensity to 1, the noise vastly reduced :). Do you see any possibilty to remove the remaining noise? Is there a denoiser for the path tracer?

4. laurent-h

laurent-h

There is no denoiser yet for the path tracer.
    I will check if this is planned or not.

5. laurent-h

laurent-h

Seems like this is not planned yet.

6. nicolasfischoeder

nicolasfischoeder

Oh that's a shame. I hope it will still come someday. But thanks a lot for checking it out :).

fuzzy3d likes this.