Search Unity

Pathfinding for Large Worlds

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by unity_1SeL-HQ69UMA9g, Jun 14, 2018.

1. unity_1SeL-HQ69UMA9g

unity_1SeL-HQ69UMA9g

Worlds are procedural generated.

Hello, i am looking for pathfinding, that will be used on large worlds (2000x2000).
    What should i use? I was in almost every thread, on every page and didn't find out :/

2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Well, if it's a procedurally generated world probably your only option is baking the navmesh at runtime. There's a tutorial on that, using the NavMeshComponents system:

https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/navigation/baking-navmesh-runtime

That said, I'm not sure whether the baking can be constrained to ignore certain chunks of your world. One approach would be to disable the colliders that are far from the player, and rebake as necessary as the player gets closer to that region. For example, assuming your world is broken into square regions, maybe you disable colliders in all but the 9 squares adjacent to the player. When the player moves to a new region, you'd enable/disable colliders in the different areas, and rebake the mesh.

That's probably only valid if you can't meaningfully interact with parts of the world that are 2000 units away from the player... But this is just an optimization, and maybe it'll work fine even if you keep everything enabled all the time.

3. unity_1SeL-HQ69UMA9g

unity_1SeL-HQ69UMA9g

No NavMesh is really bad and old. I bought A*. Its a lot better

4. grant_from_mercuna

grant_from_mercuna

I agree, some of the native solutions have limited functionality. For more nuanced uses, you need to look for different solutions