Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

PathFinder 3D - pathfinding in three-dimensional space!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by SnigirevNikita, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

Yes, asset is still supported. Active work is underway to implement new functionality, improve the performance and convenience of the existing one. Before New Year will be a big update, which we have been preparing all this time in parallel with the support of users and the main work, allowing not to starve.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

Mail support is provided regularly. The forum until recently was in oblivion, as notifications don't come to us, and to follow there was no one.

3. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

Asset is still supported.

4. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

And you can still do it. I do not see anything shameful in the fact that we are busy rework asset, work on improving its user friendly, and implementation of functions such as dynamic obstacles, routing, locale avoidens.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  5. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Sorry, I was thinking it was maybe abandoned (happens a lot in the Asset Store.) I'll definitely be picking it up soon then.

6. dgoyette

dgoyette

Great to see this product is still supported. I was curious about the A* search approach you're using. Is this using a 3D Jump Point search, to handle areas with a lot of symmetries? Or is it using a more basic A* approach where it evaluates all the neighbors from A to B? Just curious if you had any performance benchmarks, with a given search area and density? For example, most of my game areas looks something like this:

upload_2019-11-24_16-35-18.png

A series of relatively big rooms, with lots of empty space, spanning a volume of maybe 200x200x200. I'm just wondering how likely I am to see good performance from this asset in trying to pathfind through this kind of volume.

7. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

Among other things, the upcoming update adds visualization of the path search, also increased work speed and reduced memory consumption.
    Space chunking is not currently implemented.
    Astar.gif
    This Gif presents a visualization of the operation of the A * algorithm in slow motion. The real time to find the path for this case is 120ms.
    The amount of free space in this maze is approximately 25,000 cells (with a cell size of 1x1x1).

In your case, such a small cell size is not required and will even be harmful, because the path may be too close to the walls. So, if you use even 5x5x5 cells in size, your space will be 64,000 cells. It can be assumed that the worst time in this case will be approximately 300ms.

We can send you an update before the official release, if necessary.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    dgoyette likes this.
  8. christougher

christougher

Any thoughts/plans/consideration to implementing DOTS/ECS/burst to perhaps make ridiculously fast?

9. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

We will experiment with HPC#, but it is not the primary task.

10. christougher

christougher

11. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

12. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

We did not manage to publish the update, it is now in the final review, after which it will be sent for publication. Sorry for this.

13. khrunov

khrunov

Can you contact me, please, for applaing your asset to no-game field.THX a lot.

14. christougher

christougher

You should consider implementing the Lazy Theta* algorithm to make the pathing way smoother, more natural and eliminate the stair-stepping movement.

15. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

In the current implementation, you can enable path optimization and smoothing. The “Lazy Theta *” path search algorithm may possibly be implemented by the second half of 2020, among some other algorithms.

16. Unany

Unany

How's the update coming along? Would it include unity 2019.x support as well as dynamic object avoidance?

17. Tyndareus

Tyndareus

Deserializing from file seems to bring in the graph with some ridiculous scale.

Also the pursuers seem to stop after a few runs, will debug but im guessing they get stuck in a waiting state for some reason.
    Edit: Seems like the most responsible states are WaitingForPursuerQueue and WaitingForRequest. What I have done is used the Waypoint Reached event to call MoveTo again as these things roam randomly, by the looks of it MoveTo adds to the list. Perhaps an object would be better suited for that and then you can queue up various move commands, even if its lagging behind it will still execute the move provided.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  18. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

An update delayed until mid to end of April, sorry.
    Local avoidance likely to be released later.

19. Sam_Zlobniy

Sam_Zlobniy

Yes. We know these problems in the current version - they are already fixed in a future update.

20. rigidbuddy

rigidbuddy

Hi @SnigirevNikita. Great asset so far!
    But I've faced the issue with incorrect deserialization of minCellSize (always 1). You could use sequential BinaryWriter.Write(*), BinaryReader.Read* to avoid such bugs.

21. Psychus

Psychus

Hello,

I have a problem with this asset, when I move an object with an obstacle tag, the SpaceManager does not automatically update the collision, it remains intact.

22. Psychus

Psychus

This asset cannot make another path if it is objects with a very high scale of size.

the path it takes is the same for everyone, as if they were all on a scale of size 1.

I am imitating the enemies of the classic doom and the reason for buying this asset is because AI can travel through the air (Axis Y) and in this game there are enemies big and tiny (cacodemon, lost souls, pain elemental).

Is there any solution for this?

Attached Files:

unityunity