Search Unity

Path Painter - Paths, Ramps, Roads & River Beds for Unity Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Sep 11, 2018.

1. frankslater

frankslater

Not yet sure what that Unity patch (2020.3.25) does differently. I'm able to reproduce it by doing a fresh install of Path Painter (i.e. deleting Path Painter, then importing it from Package Manager again).

I was however able to fix it every time by either closing Unity and reopening the project or by reimporting:

2023-01-31_11-31-57.gif

Not able to reproduce the error when 2020.3 is fully patched (2020.3.44 at the time of this writing), so I'm not sure what we can or is worth doing about this. It seems like this was a minor Unity bug that affects Path Painter import in that patch version that has been fixed since and you need to do a reimport on Path Painter if it shows up.

@vertexx,
    Could you please try the following?
    1. Delete any Path Painter in your project.
    2. Import Path Painter and observe the error.
    3. Do a Reimport as shown on the GIF above (In the project window right click on 3D Haven -> Reimport).
    4. Wait and see if the error disappears after the compilation is completed.
    5. Let me know what happens.
    Thanks in advance.

2. vertexx

vertexx

Hey Frankslater,
    Everything is A1 good when you also download/import your pp2 asset!
    If this fixes it (which it does) then you can stop worrying and take the day off!! Relax!

It appears that the LTS version I used was like many early LTS versions...not good.
    I'm advancing, if that's the term, to the later versions of Unity soon. Gulp..
    When I do I'll let you know what occurs.

In the meantime you have gone way beyond all realms of what might be expected in terms of help.
    Many, many thanks for your great efforts and patience.
    As said before...with my Unity version you may need to install your pp2 patch. Once done you're off and away.

frankslater likes this.
  3. frankslater

frankslater

You can use 2020.3 LTS, but it seems like you need to apply its current patch that fixes something that causes this.

It's up to you which solution you go with. We seem to have identified 4:
    1. Close Unity and re-open the project.
    2. Do a reimport on Path Painter II after installation.
    3. You install the "PP2 Upgrade Path Only" version on top of it (This probably does the same as the reimport, except this way you could be using an older version of Path Painter II. Importing the real package once again from the Package Manager might work the same way).
    4. Patch your LTS (Recommended long term solution).
    No, I thank you for reaching out and bearing with me till I could figure out what's going on!

Now I'm curious and I'm going to check that double install I mentioned in the parenthesis of solution number 3. I just thought of it while I was writing that. If my theory is correct, that could be solution number 5.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  4. frankslater

frankslater

Yep, that works as well:

. . . . 5. After it completed installing and you see the error messages, simply click Import and import it a second time:
    2023-02-02_19-28-12.gif

5. vertexx

vertexx

Beautifully described and well done.
    And the best long term solution, well it's like you say...
    "Patch your LTS (Recommended long term solution).
    All the best, Frankslater and phew!!
    Vertexx.

frankslater likes this.
  6. frankslater

frankslater

All the best! Hope you are up and running doing something awesome! :)

7. frankslater

frankslater

Thank you for your interest @SickaGamer! I wanted to clarify my previous response:
    It might have sounded secretive and that wasn't the intention.

Over the years, I've been thinking a lot about the different paths it can go and how many times those can be blocked by mutually exclusive directions. It's effectively branching. Once you are on a branch you can't also implement stuff from the other branch and that often blocked feature requests. Always have to consider how the vast majority may be affected and that's a challenging process. The top head wrecking things were probably blend-painting vs long term editing (non-destructive workflow) + splines. Having to aim for the majority also results in something that's somewhat mediocre.

The direction I would like to take is to make it way more flexible and customisable. I've been thinking a lot about ways to achieve these, because it makes one sad when can't help a user achieve that custom thing they need.

If it gets to that, this is the general direction. I've been brainstorming a lot of ideas on how to achieve this, and have some general plans in place. However, this will require a major update and significant amount of work and reworking.

SickaGames1 likes this.
  8. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

No problem. I am currently using it and it works wonderful!

frankslater likes this.
  9. frankslater

frankslater

Great to hear.

10. frankslater

frankslater

I just realised I missed to give a heads up about the latest update: v2.1.9

One of you wonderful people asked about using Path Painter to flatten terrains for buildings in-game. I talked about ways one can achieve that and how one of the Runtime Demo scripts could be modified to do this, then went ahead to provide an example script to get the person started. While testing the script I discovered that the API's
    Paint3D()
    wasn't exactly behaving as intended, so released the update to fix that.

upload_2023-3-4_17-29-12.png

Now the quick script does the job as intended:
    2023-02-18_21-13-57.gif

2023-02-18_21-00-16 c.gif
    (3DForge building by @S4G4N)

and it's great to see happy people :)
    2023-03-05_08-39-22.gif

vertexx, VertexRage and S4G4N like this.
  11. frankslater

frankslater

Path Painter v2.1.10 is live. The update includes a fix for flaky import. We hope this update will improve your experience with Path Painter. Thank you for your continued support.
    (If anyone knows ways for an update to delete/move things before compilation please get in touch :))

@vertexx, I believe this update sorts out what you experienced as well. Could you please test if you still have that Unity version?

12. vertexx

vertexx

Updated and it now imports completely and with utmost ease! Many thanks, to frankslater.
    No need for the "update" file. All going fine. Unity2020.3.25 LTS and later.

frankslater likes this.
  13. frankslater

frankslater

Hello all,

True, Path Painter lost ~85% of its reviews due to an Asset Store migration a while ago, and they could not be recovered. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I'm surprised to see the number of reviews Path Painter has been receiving, for example, in the last 3 months, which seems to be well above the typical Asset Store review rate, even when considering assets with gifted reviews. I'm surprised because I don't ask people to review (even when we lose most reviews), and I even advise voucher receivers not to review to avoid any unintentional strings attached.

In short, I just wanted to express my appreciation for your support. You guys are awesome! <3

14. vertexx

vertexx

Well it's because there are no other Unity assets that come even close to Path Painter.
    We thank you too!

frankslater and SickaGames1 like this.
  15. frankslater

frankslater

Thank you for your kind words, @vertexx. I'm flattered and to be honest didn't know how to respond :oops: :)
    except that I truly hope that's not really the case.

I personally feel Path Painter could become a lot better, although that's probably because I have had things I want to explore in mind for a long time. Regardless, I'm trilled to hear that it has met your expectations and that you find it to be among the best.

I'm currently/still working hard to get out of hell and finally be able to explore stuff for Path Painter. If my latest attempt to get out won't work out, then I might have to switch things around and dust off an old project first and hope that will provide the wiggle room needed.

Thank you for your support, and I hope that Path Painter continues to meet your needs and exceed your expectations.