Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Path Painter - Paths, Ramps, Roads & River Beds for Unity Terrain

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Munchy2007

Munchy2007

This is the one aspect of path painter that I would really like to see implemented, I use neighbour terrains extensively and currently it's a bit fiddly making a path across terrain boundaries.

Another feature that would be nice would be the ability for it to keep a record of created paths and to be able to re-select and tweak them after they have been created, although I realise this may be a bit of a stretch too far.

Great asset btw, very pleased with my purchase. :)

frankslater likes this.
  2. frankslater

frankslater

Hi @Tanoshimi2000,

(Sorry, I had to drop out for a few days)
    You are right. It's pretty much just like "dry paint on a piece of fabric", so it doesn't have colliders that it sounds like you are looking for.

I presume those surfaces have mesh colliders you can use for this.

I guess you would need colliders for which you could set layers, tags, etc.

So I thrown together a quick and (very) dirty (ugly, horrible) script that might get you started having colliders for your paths.
    It's literally just something I could come up with for you right now, so there are no guarantees it will be all perfect.
    No planning or design whatsoever. Just started writing and coming up with it on the go, so not recommended way of doing things at all. :)

Regardless I hope it helps somewhat.
    Here it is in action:

2020-07-22_19-50-02.gif

Unity_2020-07-22_19-51-53.png

Unity_2020-07-22_20-00-17.jpg

Unity_2020-07-22_20-00-26.png

Better visible here:

(At first I actually made one that would create meshes and mesh colliders on the path surface, but then I realised that those "sheets" don't work as triggers so moved onto box colliders that are probably better for performance as well.)

You can get it here: https://3dhaven.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/43144690954

I have been planning to look into ways of Path Painter providing data to users they can use to get pretty much anything done and that could certainly be used to improve on this. I hope I'll be able to explore the direction not too long into the future.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. frankslater

frankslater

I'm right with you on that. :)
    I would really like to do that too. The reason why it's not implemented already, because it can get tricky usability wise due to over-painting, but I really want to figure out something for it. It's been dragging on for a long time like the multi-tile thing, but I hope I will be able to explore a few more things regarding it (have looked at this briefly a few times in the past).

Munchy2007 likes this.
  4. AlvaroGonzalez

AlvaroGonzalez

Hi, I'm trying to find out if path painter has any impact or issues working with the latest rendering pipelines, specially URP. Thanks!

5. frankslater

frankslater

Hi @AlvaroGonzalez,
    To the best of our knowledge Path Painter is RP independent and should not have any impact or issues with any of the Render Pipelines, but please get in touch if you are a user and run into any problems.

6. frankslater

frankslater

Please be advised that I have to go offline for a few days and will have only limited internet access (if any) and won't have access to PC, the forums and other things.
    I will try to pop on Discord (https://bit.ly/2Vosx6R) via phone every once in a while, if I get the chance, in case someone needs urgent help. Alternatively I'll get back to you upon my return in about a week.

All the best!

7. adamz

adamz

Looks good. Does this system work with MicroSplat?

8. f1chris

f1chris

I’m using it with MicroSplat, 8x8 terrain split and 16 textures per terrain, and no problems.

frankslater likes this.
unityunity