Search Unity

Patching System for iOS and Android

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JGameMaker92, Dec 27, 2017.

1. JGameMaker92

JGameMaker92

I would like to see a way to be able to make updates to my mobile applications over the air without having to create a new build every time. I know tons of apps on the app store are doing this already but Unity is lacking this feature. AssetBundles are only good for so many things. I want to be able to add new scripts to the game and update it and make changes easily without having to rebuild everything every time. Like a launch program for mobile apps so I can develop and keep working on the game while the game is on the app store without having to make people keep installing the update.

2. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

you cannot download new script for IOS you are limited to downloadable content only. the only solution is to have a sandboxed code that never change between version but you just change variable or setup on gameobjects ( think like playmaker)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Ostwind

Ostwind

Yeah you are not allowed bypass Apple submissions and download/run new code without a review. Most games however use asset bundles and custom game specific level logic/scripting which allows them to deliver new levels any time with the features that their core game supports.

As you say there are "tons of apps that do it" then why not examine or research how they do it or share a few game names here if you thing they manage to run new code instead of just simple level files.

theANMATOR2b likes this.