Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Passing a Texture reference from Unity to xcode

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Dover8, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Dover8

Dover8

I am trying to pass a reference of a cameras texture into xcode so that I can then use it for face detection. Most methods I have tried have left me stumped, but I think I am close with what I currently have.

In unity I get the texture id and pass this through a plugin:
    Code (csharp):
    2. [DllImport("__Internal")]
    3.     public static extern void SendBackground(int id, int width, int height);
    5. //in Update
    6. Texture bg_Img = GetComponentInChildren<VideoTextureBehaviour>().GetTexture(); //this is from Vuforia
    7. int texture_Id = bg_Img.GetNativeTextureID();
    8. SendBackground(texture_Id, bg_Img.width, bg_Img.height);
    xcode receives the texture ID fine, I then try to access it from OpenGL and get it to a CIImage

Code (csharp):
    3. - (void) DetectFaces:(int)tex_id :(int)width :(int)height
    4. {
    5.     glGenTextures(1, (GLuint)&tex_id);
    6.     glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, (GLuint)tex_id);
    8.     CIImage *image = [[CIImage alloc]  initWithTexture:(GLuint)tex_id size:CGSizeMake(width, height) flipped:YES colorSpace: (CGColorSpaceRef) kCGColorSpaceModelRGB];
    9. }
    Currently that last line results in a bad access exception at run time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

wrong - if this is the texture id you grabbed from your texture - you should just use it (as in - it is proper gl texture already)
    by adding glGenTextures you effectively create new texture with undefined data, so just kill this line and you should be good

3. kyewong

kyewong

Hi Alexey, if I wanna update the texture using glTexImage2D in c++ function, do I have to do it in the Update() function in unity? Is it possible to call glTexImage2D in a created thread funcino in c++ when I obtained a texture data in that thread in c++?

4. _clewis_

_clewis_

I'm trying to achieve a similar effect and even though I don't have a call to glGenTextures I still am receiving a bad access exception. Has anyone been able to confirm a solution to this?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  5. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

can you please bug report with small repro? drop case number here
    Also it seems i really need to create sample project about *tweaking* unity texture (instead of using external texture from get-go)