Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Passing a Network Variable onto a parameter

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by Hakurei123, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Hakurei123

Hakurei123

Newbie here, I just want to know if I can pass a variable to a method to change its value so that I wont have to create multiple methods for each Network Variable

This is how I tried to do it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     [ServerRpc(RequireOwnership = false)]
    2.     private void ValueChange_ServerRpc(float NetVar, float newValue) {
    3.         NetVar = newValue;
    4.     }
    What am I doing wrong here?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Writing nonsensical code. :p

Both values are passed into the method by value. You assign one value to another. Nothing happens beside NetVar having the same value as newValue WITHIN the current method.

To use NetworkVariable check the manual. You're supposed to assign to the Value property of an instance of NetworkVariable, it synchronizes automatically.

Hakurei123 likes this.
  3. NoelStephens_Unity

NoelStephens_Unity

Unity Technologies

Depending upon what you are trying to accomplish, you could also just use a struct that implements INetworkSerializable. This way you can set many properties (defined in your struct) at once and use that struct with an RPC or NetworkVariable (depending upon how you want the values to update and propagate).

Hakurei123 likes this.
  4. Hakurei123

Hakurei123

I was under the impression that I can just do that since it wont let me use ref on a network variable... oh well, newbie mistake I guess.

Im still in the process of learning C# and Unity so Im still a bit clueless when it comes to some of these things.