Search Unity

Passing a class as object (SendMessage)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by wyliam, Apr 7, 2009.

1. wyliam

wyliam

Since SendMessage will only accept one object, I'm taking the suggestions from other postings to pass a class instead. Everything is lined up, however, I'm not sure how to plug that class in with the SendMessage method.

Currently I have the following code. I'd like to access the properties of the instanced class (that are set in the myMethod function).

Code (csharp):
    1. MyClass myClass = SendMessage("myMethod", m);
    I get the usual "cant implicitly convert type 'void' to 'MyClass'".

Clearly they aren't the same type, but I expect myMethod to return the instance of MyClass.
    Do I need syntax forcing it to "typeof" or something else?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

You don't pass a class, but an object of a class of your choice

Code (csharp):
    1. MyClass m = new MyClass();
    2. // do whatever you want
    3. SendMessage("myMethod", m);
    Don't forget that you must cast the object back to MyClass in your "myMethod" function.

3. wyliam

wyliam

yeah- As I stepped away from it for a bit, I realized that. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll give it another shot...

4. wyliam

wyliam

Actually- after looking at it closer, this isn't quite what I'm trying to accomplish.

In short, I have three scripts attached to the same object. Script A iterates through all the loaded textures and instantiates them as GameObjects. Each of these instances require a unique component.

Script B contains a case statement (temporary fix) that defines which instances should get which prefab.

Since I can't call Script B's function to instantiate with the components (and other properties) with the 3 arguments using SendMessage, I've defined a class (Script C) that has all these properties in one, with the intent of setting those, and then reading them in Script A.

Clearly I can't pass the class itself- so should I create a game object, add Script C and then reference it's properties once I pass the object instance? Ultimately I'd have to destroy it too I suppose.

Sounds like a lot of sleight of hand. Any ideas on a simpler way of approaching this?

5. GargerathSunman

GargerathSunman

Yup! Give a reference to script B on script A. Since they're on the same object, that's not particularly hard.

var scriptB : ScriptBName;

Just drag the object onto the variable in the inspector and you'll be able to call functions like this:

scriptB.FunctionName(arg1, arg2, arg3);

6. wyliam

wyliam

Man- was I overcomplicating this... sheesh!