Search Unity

Games Partners in Mind | Indie Platformer RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ChrisIsAwesome, Dec 23, 2017.

1. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

- Built by speedrunners, for speedrunners -

INTRO

Partners in Mind is a 2D platformer RPG set in a large world. Inspired by popular indie game A Hat in Time, by Gears for Breakfast, and Nintendo's Legend of Zelda series, it takes features from a platformer and an RPG and fuses them into one game. Explore the depths of the world from the perspective of two different characters by scouring secret caves, solving mysterious puzzles, and most importantly, by finding the truth! But be cautious! Dying in the dream world has dire consequences!

PLOT

A scientist is fed up by the lack of funding for his research. So he hatches the plan to sell drugs -- no, no! Not those kinds of drugs! He finds the cure for the deadliest disease known. Satisfied with his discovery, he markets it to the world and everyone is happy. Just when everything seems to be perfect, an unforeseen side effect of this "cure" is revealed. It puts users in a state of comatose, where they live out their lives in a dream world, completely unaware that they are in a dream. Together, a pair of estranged twins start to find clues that hint to another world outside of their own. The duo must then find each other, convince the people that their world is not real, and find a way back to their real world!

CONCEPT

The game's primary focus is exploration. Explore the unknown and get wholesome rewards! Also will have speedrun focus. Speedrunning is the act of completing a game as fast as possible, using various glitches and tricks to reduce the time. There will be glitches that are intentionally left in for such exploitations. But the game will still host an incredible casual experience as well!​

Development (technically) kicked off: July 23, 2018

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

Releases

Dev Build v0.01a
    (Released: 9/8/18)

Download from here!

PURPOSE: To test movement and collisions

DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Download from Google Drive
    2. Extract .zip
    3. Run Partners in Mind.exe

NOTES
    ‣ Only one player is usable for this build
    ‣ There is a glitch with collisions with platforms where if you hit them from the side going at high speeds, you can clip into or through them. Has already been patched!
    ‣ No music or sound has been added yet
    ‣ No controller support yet​

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. Fenics_69

Fenics_69

Very nice game!

ChrisIsAwesome likes this.
  4. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

I appreciate the feedback! :)

5. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

UPDATE LOG (9/15/18)

It's been a very long time since I posted here (since April in fact!). I got a job and well, have quit that job due to how unfair it was to the employees. But basically rebooted project as well as this thread.

I deleted the old posts and I've made the Twitter account for this game and will be more active in posting here as well, so stay tuned for frequent updates!

‣ Cinemachine is now used, replacing individual cameras! Allows for smoother movement of cameras as well as their transitions!
    ‣ Collisions have been updated, so that ground clip glitch that happened in v0.01a is outta here!
    ‣ Player movement has been completely revamped. Is much smoother and more "realistic". Still has much work to be done, but progress is progress! One change that has happened (as suggested via Discord) is that you will not go into run state while midair. This now only happens if you're on the ground.

I would like to have the player script completely redone as well as a puzzle and 2 player mechanic in time for the next update!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. ToshoDaimos

ToshoDaimos

When I saw the name "DEMO V1.0a" I expected a full game. What you have is an early prototype. It's too early to release something like this. When you use "1.0" in your name people expect complete game. Use name "0.01" instead to avoid misleading.

7. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

Thank you for the feedback!

I have changed it to "Dev Build v0.01a".

8. ChrisIsAwesome

ChrisIsAwesome

UPDATE LOG (10/19/18)

It's been too long since I updated this thread as I've been updating Discord far more often :oops: But dev build v0.2 is around the corner!

• Player script has been rewritten to allow for better movement, greater efficiency, better collisions, and more!
    • Collisions have been updated to be more precise
    • Camera movement has been updated! Now using Cinemachine!
    • 2 player split screen is fully functional (will be updated soon to be more dynamic)
    • Polished animations (as suggested via Discord)
    • 1-way platform collisions in some areas!
    • Push a box!!!!!!
    • Watch the first video update for this log!
    I'm also looking for assistance with this project (will be paid)! I'm in need of an artist and some level designers! If you're interested, more details are available in my Reddit post here!