Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug ParticleSystem.WaitForPreviousRenderingToFinish performance degradation

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Nikolat93, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Nikolat93

Nikolat93

Hi,

So I've had a bit of weird issue in editor with the newer unity versions that is making them almost unusable for me. Basically each time I play and stop the editor, the performance gets worse when I go back into play mode after several times and seems to have to do with particles according to the profiler. Initially I have perfectly fine fps, but a few plays / stops later and I'm coming into the same scene with like 4 fps.

I'm currently on 2022.3.0f1 (where the issue occurs), and in 2021.3.21f1 this issue does not occur. This issue is also occurs in later 2021 LTS version 2021.3.25 when I tried that. So some change brought over to LTS in this patch range (2021.3.22 - 2021.3.25) seems to cause the issue.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this apparent leak / lack of cleanup on the particle system? Again, this is only occurring with the newer versions which is very frustrating. Restarting the editor will "fix" it, but this is such an inconvenience it makes it not even worth the upgrade. Would greatly appreciate any workaround if someone has one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2023