Search Unity

Particles spawning and moving to position on a mesh

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by tunbescheid, Apr 17, 2021.

1. tunbescheid

tunbescheid

Hi Forum,

I'm a newbie in Unity and just know the basics like importing, texturing lighting etc. a scene, and now started experimenting with particles and the Visual effects graph.
    I created a basic room with a model of a sneaker inside, and want to create one effect:

Particles should spawn from somewhere and then, over time, move onto the surface of the sneaker. I basically want particles emitted and then froming the shape of a 3D mesh, in this case a sneaker.

With the pcache tool I already managed to make the particles take the position 'on' the mesh. But this happens instantly, so there is no transition betwenn particles spawning from another position and then moving to the position of the 'mesh' over time. Is this possible without scripting/ programming, just within the graph?

As far as I understood the other option would be to create a vector field/ 3d texture in the shape of my sneaker, that attracts the particles through a force field (similar to the Unity logo VFX demo scene). But I found no documentation whatsoever of how to 'easily' convert a 3D mesh into a 3D texture or vectormap.

It would be awesome if someone could give me tips or at least something to start some more research from :)

Thanks already!

adamgffrd likes this.
  2. adamgffrd

adamgffrd

I came across this post and was looking for the same thing. I am trying to wrap up a prototype I am working on using the Butterfly sample. I want to let the butterflies fly around and then flip a switch to have them be drawn to and land on a mesh. I keep searching around but I can't even find examples of this behavior other than having the particles spawn and then follow a path instantly. If you could point me in the right direction or have any update on this I would appreciate it. Thanks! :)