Search Unity

Particles going wild when in a Timeline control track clip

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Pikkukala, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Pikkukala

Pikkukala

I am having a lot of fun with Timeline and Cinemachine on a 2D animation project.
    Now, particles are showing a strange behaviour when I include them in a timeline's control track clip. They go wild when scrubbing, previewing the timeline and also in normal play mode.

I am not sure if I am missing some important detail, if it is a bug or if it depends on my hardware?
    Thanks for your help.

2. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Hi @Pikkukala
    That is an interesting one, can you please open a bug and share the project you are working on with us? Also when it's done, if you could paste here the Bug ID, it would make it easier to track down.

thanks!

Pikkukala likes this.
  3. Pikkukala

Pikkukala

Thanks @thierry_unity ! Here is the ID 938726_rjs4gpcnfdeupkij

4. thierry_unity

thierry_unity

Thanks!
    we will dig into that as soon as possible.

5. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Is your Particle System's Simulation Speed set to anything other than 1? If yes, that could cause problems with the Control Track's Playback.

6. rt_jscott

rt_jscott

Is this something that will be fixed?
    We are deciding if we need to go through the laborious process of deciding to "fix" all the particle systems in our game. Instead I'm hoping that these particles will work in 2017.3

7. baptistepoligne

baptistepoligne

Hello !
    Is there any known workaround ?

8. duobiyeye

duobiyeye

hey~~~~you should do like this 1:check the particle system's control track and click the track slider 2:do not check “Control Children",if not batter,also do not check "Control ITimeControl" 3:chack your particle system's workflow,you could creat Empty as a parent ,and control this particle system 4:do all 3 steps, save and close unity,open again, you will be happy

9. reuko

reuko

bump for this issue, still exists in 2018.4.9

10. ClaudiaTheDev

ClaudiaTheDev

So i know this thread is old and i had this issue today. I sadly couldn't track the exact thing which caused it down, it seems to be a combination of Control with Activation Tracks and nesting.

But i found 2 "workarounds" or "fixes":

1) To prevent the behaviour i in the first place i use following workflow:
    Create a Control Track AND an Activation track for the particle. With the Control Track i can see in the editor preview of the timeline how it looks. I mute the Control Track (press M on the track) and only use Activation track for the final in-game thing/build.

1) If the behaviour (particles speed up like crazy) occured once in editor, i was stucked with it. No matter what i did or changed in the timeline or restarting Unity - it remained broken.
    I needed to delete (!) all Control + Activation Tracks in the timeline and create new(1) ones and reassign the values. Also the particle sometimes needed to be "created new" in the scene so they weren't broken anymore.

Just wanted to leave this here in case someone has the issue. Maybe it helps.

11. Whatever560

Whatever560

I also have problem with janky particles on a timeline that has a "slowmotion" effect. It works well in the editor but at runtime it's broken. I'll try the different workarounds here.