Search Unity

Particles emit from mesh--how?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by NickJainschigg, Feb 3, 2015.

1. NickJainschigg

NickJainschigg

Hi--I'm trying to get particles to emit from a mesh (as it deforms, but that's another whole level of pain) but can't seem to get it to happen. In principle, I guess, I can add a particle component to a mesh in the scene, but that doesn't seem to allow having the mesh itself be the emitter. I can also add a particle emitter to the scene and then specify that it emit from a mesh, but that only allows the effect to be used with certain, already loaded, meshes and I can't figure out how to add my imported mesh to the exclusive list of meshes that pops up when you click on "None(Mesh)".

So--what/where is the folder or permissions that I need to put my imported mesh into or load it into to get it to emit particles?

2. andeeeee

andeeeee

Welcome to the forum!

Just to check, can you add your mesh to the scene as an object (by dragging the mesh asset into the Scene View)? You should be able to use any imported mesh for the emitter shape, so it is possible that the mesh asset is empty or has not imported properly.

3. Billy4184

Billy4184

I had a similar problem where I made the mesh in Blender for a particle system and it wouldn't appear. I ended up having to UV unwrap it before exporting and it then showed up in the list.

4. NickJainschigg

NickJainschigg

I can, in fact, add the object. I think I was getting thrown off by the interaction of Unity and Blender. The (heavily edited and renamed) plane I was adding showed up as "Plane" with a representation of it as unedited. I tried again using the monkey head (renamed as "monkey head") and it showed up as "Suzanne" in Unity (If you don't know, that's the underlying object's name in the Blender hierarchy). So it's keeping a lot of data from Blender is all, and I'll need to take that into account.

Now to see if I can get it to emit while affected by MegaFiers noise ;-)

Thank you!