Search Unity

Question Particles bound by a sphere

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by CodeFixer, Apr 28, 2022.

1. CodeFixer

CodeFixer

I post my question here because I was not able to locate a place for the traditional particle system.
    I am trying to build a magical sphere: particles are created at its centre, run in all directions and bounce off the transparent sphere surrounding the particle system. They shoud never get out the sphere but instead they do ! In the pic you can see my settings. The sphere is not part of the particle system ( I can change this if it is needed ), that is, the sphere is not 'emitted'. How can solve my problem ?

Attached Files:

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

General Graphics is what you wanted. We don't have a more specific place. I don't have the power to move it there unfortunately.

Your settings looks fine. Maybe the sphere is using a sphere collider component instead of a mesh collider component? (it must use a mesh collider component if you want the inverted mesh normals to have any effect)

eg: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1476250/invert-sphere-collider.html

It's a pretty expensive solution though.
    Visual Effect Graph actually has the inverted sphere functionality built in to its sphere collider node...

CodeFixer likes this.
  3. CodeFixer

CodeFixer

Great answer. Thank you Richard.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  4. CodeFixer

CodeFixer

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

That's perhaps because you posted in the Visial Effect Graph forum, which is just for this: https://unity.com/visual-effect-graph ;)

I'm not sure of the answer to that one. But I've asked a colleague to move it to General Graphics, where you may get more of the right eyes looking at it.

6. CodeFixer

CodeFixer

7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Qriva likes this.