Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Particles above UI without setting screen space to camera

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by vandel212, Mar 3, 2021.

1. vandel212

vandel212

I'm running into a bit of an issue, I want to add a particle system to my project, but it only shows behind the canvas UI. I know that this is because the canvas' render mode is set to "screen space - overlay", but I need it to be there, I cannot use "screen space - camera". Is there a way to do this? I tried using camera stacks, it still showed behind the canvas, I also tried using the UI Extension project, it worked, but they don't support particle trails yet, so that's out. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm honestly surprised the ability to use particle systems in the UI is not natively apart of Unity. I hope they are working on it.

2. Madgvox

Madgvox

The most straightforward way to do this off the top of my head is to render the particles using a secondary camera to a RenderTexture that is assigned to a RawImage component on the UI.

ritesh_khokhani likes this.
  3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Madgvox likes this.
  4. Madgvox

Madgvox

I did see the MeshBake/MashTrailBake methods but I wasn't sure if they were meant for real-time use. I suppose they were! Very cool to see.

karl_jones likes this.
  5. BACALL

BACALL

Hi, sorry for necroing an old thread. I just wanted to check in, since this was a while ago. I looked at the GitHub and it looks finished. Is it? Looking forward to using it. Can I use this in my game or should I wait?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

The native support has not been finished so the GitHub link is still the best way to go. It's unlikely that we will be able to land native support for particles and UGUI at this point so I would not wait.

7. BACALL

BACALL

Thanks for the quick reply! May I ask why? It seemed like an awesome addition to Unity :( Is there coming something else in its place?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'm not really sure of the reason. It was a hackweek project and needed more work. It was also not much more than what that GitHub project does so would not have made a big difference. We are focusing our attention on UI Toolkit now so hopefully we can get it right this time with native particles support. We have a huge list of Other things that need to come first though.

BACALL likes this.
  9. novalyst

novalyst

Check this video it has everything about particles system on the UI Canvas on unity