Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle Systems: stretched billboard minimum particle length?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Helix_Snake, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Helix_Snake

Helix_Snake

So I have my character explode into a bunch of bubbles when they die, and I want the bubbles to stretch as they fall, but the only way to do this that I know of is the using a Stretched Billboard renderer. When I do that, though, there's no minimum length, so when a bubble particle goes upwards and slows down, it compresses into a flat horizontal line, and that looks TERRIBLE. Is there any way around this? I'm not against any sort of solution that involves scripting.

Edit: I think I might have a solution with the GetParticles and SetParticles functions, I hadn't noticed those when I looked at the API at first. However, ParticleSystem.Particle has no way to modify the length. So I'm still stuck.

I don't think there's any way to do this without somehow getting the source code of the Particle System Renderer. That's what I have to fix.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  2. Torbach78

Torbach78

The stretch billboard pivot is located on it's tip and angles in the direction it's moving, so they
    1. abruptly flip when altering direction (e.g. up to down)
    2. tilt when moving screen-Z (away/towards viewer)

what you need seems pretty complex -- finding no solution doodling Unity shuriken_0.jpg

limitation starts with feature #2
    • stretch billboard is unlocked in XY screen space allowing oblique perspective - you want an option to turn that off
    • orientation dynamics; torque input and can dampen (would make good tumbling logic!)
    • free lattice deform since billboards could move diagonally
    maybe PopcornFX plugin for Unity can do it, have you tried them?

3. bgolus

bgolus

You can always set more than one length modifier, say set the length scale to 1.0 and the velocity scale to 0.02

4. Helix_Snake

Helix_Snake

This won't help. It will just multiply by both and we'll have the same problem. (Yes, I have tried it.)

I can not afford a $250 plugin right now.

If I could either get the source code for the particle system renderer or decompile the particle system renderer I might be able to make my own.

5. Torbach78

Torbach78

unfortunately the current module will not operate how you want

1. cannot prevent rapid pivoting 'flip' with a reverse in direction
    2. cannot prevent tilt when moving screen Z depth