Search Unity

Question Particle System won't Play with Time scale set to 0. Is this a bug?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jalsimoo, May 5, 2021.

1. jalsimoo

jalsimoo

Hello!

The thing is that I have a Particle System that I want to throw when a new item is gathered by the player. I pause the game (Set the time scale to 0) and then the Particles.Play won't do anything. If I set the PlayOnAwake property to true and I just activate the GameObject, then the particles do Play. But if I try to Play them by script (or even in the Scene view) I can't. I the scene view when I hover the Play button on the particle simulation menu a tooltip says that I can't play when the Time scale is 0.

First of all, I have to say yes, I have the particles Delta Time property set to unscaled. My settings are the following:

upload_2021-5-5_14-3-47.png

So... Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong here?

I am using Unity 2020.3.1f1

Thanks in advance!

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Honestly I'm not sure 100%, but my gut feeling is that this is a bug. If you have set it to use unscaled time, then i feel like it should be working.

So we can verify exactly how you've got this set up, and so you get an update if/when it is fixed, could you submit a bug report for this? Just go to Help / Report a Bug in the Editor.

Thanks!

karl_jones likes this.
  3. jalsimoo

jalsimoo

Thanks a lot for the response. I am not 100% sure if this is a bug. I managed to solve it with this line of code just before the Particles.Play():

Particles.Simulate(Time.unscaledDeltaTime, false, true, true);

Not sure why did I have to do this, tho. In my opinion this line should be obviated.

4. Xesk

Xesk

Hi, sorry to reopen the thread.
    Was this fixed in recent Unity updates?
    I'm currently in U2021.2.14, and thinking if I should upgrade...

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

No-one submitted a bug report, so nothing has changed/been fixed.