Search Unity

Particle System UI size

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by richardkettlewell, Dec 4, 2017.

?

What do you think about the Particle System Editor font size?

1. Keep using the Mini font size!

17.1%
  2. Make it use the Normal font, like the rest of the Editor!

69.4%
  3. I'd prefer the Normal font in the Inspector, but to keep the Mini font in the pop-out Window view.

5.3%
  4. I don't care, both are fine.

8.2%
  1. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey all!

We are looking for some feedback on the font size used for the Particle System UI, because we are evaluating whether to make it consistent with the rest of the Editor UI, instead of using a smaller font.

What do you think of it? Let us know by using the Poll, and add any extra feedback in the comments! There is a pre-visualization comparing the 2 looks, attached to this post.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. fogsight

fogsight

I would prefer a more compact option, but if it's an accessibility issue maybe have an option to control the font instead?

3. Shizola

Shizola

I actually found the mini font made the particle system seem more intimidating when I first started using Unity for some reason.

4. dadude123

dadude123

Mini size is perfectly readable on my system.
    I'd hate if there were some change to use more space for nothing.
    Some sort of option or general unity-editor-ui-scale thing would be cool.

5. MHatfull

MHatfull

My sight is pretty poor and the unity font size is stretching it already, please don't make it even worse!

Bea-Eli likes this.
  6. dadude123

dadude123

They're considering making the font size bigger, not smaller.

richardkettlewell and karl_jones like this.
  7. ifurkend

ifurkend

Even though compact font works perfectly fine for me, preferably make it switchable in user preferences because everyone's monitor and resolution differ.

Martin_H and theANMATOR2b like this.
  8. MarcClintDion

MarcClintDion

Why not give the ability to the UI to give fonts a grow-animation as the cursor passes over them so that the text becomes like super Mario eating a mushroom.

Attached Files:

9. Onigiri

Onigiri

I would prefer node based particle system without messing with all this tabs and properties at once...;)
    P.S. Normal font looks better for me

10. dadude123

dadude123

I'd guess because: UX issues (Not intuitive, costs too much space), performance issues of rendering the UI, technical issues (unity having a simple and lightweight GUI api), ...

There's a reason why you don't see that anywhere except maybe in game menues (where your goal is completely different: ie displaying very few options in a nice way).

Keep in mind that Unity is a development platform to make games, not a game itself :p

There's a little icon at the top of the particle system ('+') that allows you to turn off modules you don't use.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's logical to have a consistent UI experience across Unity. If things will not fit, then you need to redesign rather than shrink text. Rollouts/Foldouts solve design problems.

That being said I don't actually care too much about the issue :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  12. Ferazel

Ferazel

When I saw this on Twitter, I got excited that this could finally be the integrated particle system in the UI Canvas system, only to click and be severely disappointed. :(

Regardless, please make the sizing consistent with the rest of the editor UI.

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Haha. Yeah....:rolleyes:

Its on our Todo list, well my Todo list :)

Maintaining a whole separate GUI style can be a bit of a pain when we want to add new features or support new editor features. If we could use the same as the editor then in theory it could make it a bit easier to maintain and allow us to benefit from any editor improvements in the future.
    Adding support for custom fonts or both mini and normal style is certainly something we want to avoid. Those type of things are something that should be editor wide, not just particles.

This is something that came up during a feature review recently and we wanted to find out if it's something people even want. We were not sure at the time.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Martin_H and karl_jones like this.
  15. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Normal please.

16. mh114

mh114

Normal font, consistency is good and it would also allow highlighting prefab changes with bold like everywhere else. I've always wondered why the particle system UI looks different. Get rid of the mini style please. :)

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

K
    Well funny you should mention prefab changes. We just added support for that to the particle system(with mini font) . It was during this that the suggestion was brought up.

mh114 likes this.
  18. mh114

mh114

Hehe, that's great. I'd still prefer having the normal font in there, my eyesight isn't what it used to be. :)

karl_jones and richardkettlewell like this.
  19. bgolus

bgolus

Personally I'd want it smaller ... I'd want all of the text in the editor smaller though.

Particle systems tend to be giant lists of difficult to see-all-at-once options that larger text just makes worse. Bad eye sight is a fair reason to go the other way, but it won't make it any easier to use, at least for those of us who can still see. It's more an argument for accessability options in the editor.

Martin_H and ifurkend like this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah although that's what OS accessibility options are for. These options work fine if the app is consistent with everything else.

Bad eye sight isn't optional - it will hit some 99% of people in varying degrees past the age of 40. We'll find it's really an obnoxious argument of younger (for now immortal) people. It'll happen suddenly and everyone not expecting it will be in for a rueful surprise :) https://www.visionweb.com/content/consumers/dev_consumerarticles.jsp?RID=1

In before someone without experience says "Oh! glasses fix that!" they don't really. They help, but as you age further you will find that the usable range of the monitor diminishes, and that means having to adjust the monitor's physical distance or leaning in because the window in which you can focus on small things gets smaller.

Unity's text size for the general editor is about the minimum size it should get.

I don't think they need to be bigger because the OS magnifier can handle the rest for anyone with worse sight, and they don't need to be smaller because good design takes care of that, plus it's a pretty consistent size with other apps and the general browsing experience of the web.

TLDR: keep the entire unity text size consistent, then people with individual needs don't have a moving target to focus on and can better utilise OS accessibility.

Martin_H likes this.
  21. Martin_H

Martin_H

If possible I think this would be the best option by far. If not possible I'm also in favor of the smaller text staying as is.

I think removing options from the particle system to make settings in a bigger font fit on the screen would by far be the worst choice. Please don't do that.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But having different font sizes within the same app causes problems. Mecanim would not function at all inside a narrow column, and has it's own window as do many of the more complex Unity features. Particle systems does too, but it's really unloved and not designed well.

Basically anyone advocating smaller fonts mixed with lager fonts within the same area really doesn't have a design background.

23. Martin_H

Martin_H

If you meant me, I even have a degree in design, I'm just really into the "form follows function" thing. Since I can read the text fine already, compactness is the next goal on the list that I want from the particle system UI. If someone can't read it with small text, accessibility options would be good for them and don't get in my way of having it compact.

I never used mecanim or other stuff in popout windows, so I can't comment on that.

Player7 likes this.
  24. Player7

Player7

It has so many options to go through that cramming it all in using mini font just makes sense especially for 1080p size screens.. maybe higher resolutions it starts to less of a issue and default font is fine again. Probably why not many noticed it compared to other inspector views.. So yeah I'll through a vote in for keeping the mini font.. or better yet add an option for it preferences to have the mini font applied to all inspector font sizes with actual font size control for it... yknow until I upgrade to 4k and then want default font size back (maybe).

25. HugDragon

HugDragon

It is very inconvenient to use the mini font.
    I want to use a regular font, but is there any way to patch it?

26. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No, and if you did swap the font the UI would be very broken and hard to use.
    This is why it has not happened yet, we would need to rebuild large parts of the UI and the demand vs the work required was just not enough to justify it.

27. Chris9465

Chris9465

Perhaps this is too much to ask, but maybe hide most of the options with an option to expand if necessary? Condense it to fewer items, idk

28. Archanor

Archanor

@Chris9465 You can hide unused Modules if you click the + sign in the top right corner.

richardkettlewell and Chris9465 like this.
  29. gamebalance

gamebalance

Is there a way to change particle panel font size to normal? It's very small. Hard to read and bad for eyes health.

havokentity and Chris9465 like this.
  30. Janeator

Janeator

So when are you going to respect the vote results

havokentity likes this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess the only solution here is to create a second inspector and scale it. Is there a quick way to scale inspectors in Unity? asking because users asked me if there was any traction in making it a little easier to read for those who do struggle.

32. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I have not tested it but you could try adjusting the GUI.matrix before drawing.

hippocoder likes this.
  33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks, that is a pretty good idea!

karl_jones likes this.
  34. LightID

LightID

It would be nice if there indeed was a solution to the terribly small font. I didn't quite get the GUI.matrix one, may anyone please elaborate?

35. SchGames

SchGames

Any updates about this one? I'm not that old, but I find it hard and annoying and I have a feeling like my eyes will come of their sockets when trying to fix my particle system...

36. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

No good update, other than to say we have other priorities at the moment, so this hasn't been planned to get done.
    I think we can at least say that we (Unity) agree that it would be a good change to make though.