Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Particle System: Stop rotation on collision

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by compyler, Dec 3, 2023.

1. compyler

compyler

Hello,

I have a simple particle system to simulate fallen leaves (With a simple leaf quad and texture sheed animation)
    I have activated the "Collision" module to stop the leaves when they touch the ground.

I also set "Rotation over lifetime" to make the leaves rotate a bit.
    The problem is: The leaves keep rotating once they touched the ground, which looks really silly (like breakdancers).

I did not found a fitting setting in the "Collision" module.
    I was also trying to change the rotation from "Rotation over Lifetime" to "Rotation by Speed" but I did not find a setting that did work.

Whats the best way to stop the rotation once the leaves collide?

2. POOKSHANK

POOKSHANK

use the rotation by speed tab to handle rotation.

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

I don't know of a way to do this - it was once on our roadmap to add an option for it, but unfortunately we only have enough resources to do bugfixing on that system now, as all feature work is focused on the Visual Effect Graph package instead.

4. POOKSHANK

POOKSHANK

after seeing the above response, i tried to create this effect on my own, since i ignored that you had tried rotation by speed already. it's pretty simple, but it is VERY important that in the collision tab you use dampening or else it'll rotate forever ~ though i'm assuming you do this already to stop them.

here's the setup, Screenshot 2023-12-05 161514.png and a picture of the resulting system. Screenshot 2023-12-05 161642.png

5. compyler

compyler

Your solution works! And its super simple. Thank you very much! :)

POOKSHANK and richardkettlewell like this.