Search Unity

Question Particle system rotation - GameObject transform vs Shape?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by profanicus, Oct 18, 2022.

1. profanicus

profanicus

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but here we go...

Most particle systems I've seen have a -90 rotation on the GameObject's X axis to make particles go upwards.

This is kind of triggering to me when I drop it in-game, so I've been rotating the emitter shape -90 instead, so I have nice zeroed transforms.

But I think that may have its own issues, as it seems to screw the shape's visual scale editing (assuming I understand how that's supposed to work), and Y & Z are swapped on the scale numeric fields (but only scale, not position or rotation...)

So the burning questions is, is it 'best practice' to just rotate the GameObject instead of the shape? Does it even matter? :)

Using 2021.3 LTS.

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Same here... :( it's a very legacy thing that we can't easily remove, due to backwards compat reasons, plus muscle-memory of users!

Rotating the shape transform instead ought to have the same result in most use cases.. if it's broken the scene view shape gizmo, that seems like a bug.

Ultimately it kinda doesn't matter which you rotate, as long as you aren't hitting bugs/weirdness by doing it one way vs. the other. So it may be simpler to go back to just having a rotated GameObject, but if you did submit a bug report we would look at if there is something we can fix, regarding your other feedback.

Thanks!

3. profanicus

profanicus

Thanks Richard! I thought it was pretty trivial but you never know... :)

I'll get a bug in today.

richardkettlewell likes this.