Search Unity

Particle system related error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ArachnidAnimal, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

The following error appeared in console and log file when running in playmode.
    It must be related to a particle system.
    This is the first time I've seen this error

Assertion failed on expression: 'all(sheetIndexNormalized >= 0.0f) && all(sheetIndexNormalized <= 1.0f)'
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/ParticleSystem/ParticleSystemGeometryJob.cpp Line: 1190)

Does anyone know what this error means?
    I'm using Unity 2017.1.1f1

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sounds like maybe an issue with the uv texture Module? Have you upgraded unity version? Maybe something didn't upgrade correctly.

By the way if you use the Particles tag in forum posts the particle team gets notified ;)

3. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Sorry I should have made it clear, i`m part of the particle team :)
    I just happened to notice the post but in the future using the particles tag means it should not get missed.
    It does look like an issue with the UV Module. Did you upgrade Unity version recently?

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  4. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Thanks for responding to this thread. (I added the "particles" tag to the thread).
    I have not upgraded Unity for many months. The error just appeared during one session, and hasn't returned since. I can't seem to re-produce the error again.
    If it happens again, I will re-evaluate all of the UV Modules.
    Thanks for the suggestion of what to focus on regarding this error.

karl_jones likes this.
  5. Tarball

Tarball

I just got the same error in 2017.3.0f3. It was a new project -- not one in an updated version.

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report so we can investigate. The more info the better.

7. artysta

artysta

This error just popped up for me for the first time. Using latest 2017.3.1p1

8. d_pointeer

d_pointeer

We are currently experiencing this issue in 2017.3.1p2 . The issue occurs on loading into and out of our game from our front end (which will load and unload several sprite sheet textures each iteration for hud elements etc), but only on the 3rd time of us loading into the game, but always at this time. This causes on editor builds lots of error spam but continued operation, on XBoxOne it causes an access violation and hard crashes. Since the error message is so non descriptive (no call stack, no index counts, no index it tried to access) its extremely difficult to work out which asset could be the root of the error, especially since they all seem to work multiple times before eventually causing a failure.

9. GreenCubeGames

GreenCubeGames

2018.3.13f1 get this error

10. CodeCAT_Inc

CodeCAT_Inc

2017.4.30f1 get this error

11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report.

12. CodeCAT_Inc

CodeCAT_Inc

2017.4.32f1 get this error.
    Plz Fix it!!
    just Error in console. i can't find where error is comming

13. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please file a bug report. We need something to work with. We can't fix the bug from the error message, we need to know what's causing it to happen and for that we need a bug report with a project that has this error included.

14. fuliu

fuliu

15. hellowill89

hellowill89

I get this error when attempting to use Triggers module with particles.

16. atplacasse

atplacasse

Any progress on this issue ?
    I'm using Unity 2018.2.17f1 and got

Assertion failed on expression: 'all(sheetIndexNormalized >= 0.0f) && all(sheetIndexNormalized <= 1.0f)'
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/ParticleSystem/ParticleSystemGeometryJob.cpp Line: 1472)

I just got it once today, not easily reproducible but it crashed my app.
    Is it a development only assertion ?

Is there any common mistake to avoid when using the ParticuleSystem ?

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Could you please file a bug report?

18. cosmos0

cosmos0

Version 2017.4.35f1
    In our game
    After 12 hours of testing, A total of 137 times.
    There were 10 to 20 errors at a time.
    The cause is unknown.
    It's hard to find because there's no error stacks

Attached Files:

19. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled a bug report?

20. Cyrille-Paulhiac

Cyrille-Paulhiac

Hi Karl,
    I have the same issue I think, in Unity 2017.4 .
    I have filled a repro project with that kind of error narrowed down: Case 1235478

Thank you for having a look at it^^.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Seith and karl_jones like this.
  21. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Please don't bump. File a bug report instead so we can look into it.

22. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I know this isn't a bug report, but it's all I can add at the moment.

I have a game in 2019.2.21 that I've been working on for four years, a 2D top down 1-v-1 space shooter. I use an assortment of particle effects such as for engine exhausts, damage, and some shots.

I have just experienced this error, a blast of maybe 20 lines:

from a test fight like thousands of others I have played without ever seeing this error before. For the particle systems in play at the time of this error, I have no UV module use, no texture sheets animation, and nothing beyond simple spawning, colour, rotation, and scale over time. I don't even have sub-emitters in this case.The game continued running without error within the editor.

Trying the same fight again, the error does not appear. With it being this sporadic, it seems difficult to provide a solid bug report and repro case. Obviously I'll keep my eye out, but in my case it's happened just now for the first time with particles that are unchanged and working correctly for two years without error.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  23. icefreedom

icefreedom

same error in 2019.3.9f
    59 erros pers second

*** i understand that its hard to investigate but can you may be find that error in code and add more info to it so i can understand what its causing this ***

24. michaelday008

michaelday008

I'm in Unity 2020.3.17f1 LTS. I'm seeing this error randomly also. I'm not performing any action when it happens (my character is just standing around idle). There is nothing using sprite sheets in the scene. My scene is designed to help me get ready to upgrade to URP so all particle systems just use the single default particle Unity provides.

@karl_jones I would file a bug report, but my project is 100GB and I'm not attaching something that huge to a bug report!

Since there is no stack trace telling me what line of my code caused this to happen, I can't create a minimal reproduction project, which is what I would normally do if I at least had a stack trace.

Please tell the team there at Unity to provide some more information in the console entry on what action in my code triggered this (like a stack trace), or at very minimum, when I click on the error, it should highlight or select the GameObject in the scene that triggered this.

If the Unity team is unwilling to at least do that much, no one is going to be able to file a useful bug report for you, since it only seems to happen randomly, and in projects that are not simple single scene prototypes.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  25. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I'll see if it's possible to provide extra Information, a lot of asserts are deep in code that has no knowledge of components or gameobjects.

Do you have the line number from the error message?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    richardkettlewell likes this.
  26. michaelday008

michaelday008

This is the complete error screen and message. As you can see, there is no line number in there.

I've been playing through this level once per day for the last 10 days before I got this, so you can see how it is nearly impossible to reproduce this on demand.

As others have noted, I see that this only happens in two levels in my game. In both levels, the common factor is a particle system attached to an object with a box collider that is a trigger on it. It seems to happen most often when I go afk and leave the level for a while with nothing happening.

There is also a texture sheet animation on the effect set to Grid, which is interesting, because there doesn't appear to be a way to set a sprite on it.

upload_2021-9-10_13-22-59.png

upload_2021-9-10_13-34-19.png

upload_2021-9-10_13-37-33.png

upload_2021-9-10_13-38-17.png

27. michaelday008

michaelday008

@karl_jones by the way, I did submit a bug report for this, but I did not attach the project due to it's size. Last time I submitted a bug report with a 1.5gb project, it took over 2 hours to upload and I have a 100 megabit upstream connection!

For comparison, uploading the same project to mega.nz took a mere 3 minutes.

* EDIT*
    I think I understand what is causing this bug, but I'm still not sure why it takes so long to happen, and doesn't appear immediately. I copied another particle effect and changed the render to use the default particle instead of an image that contained 4 other images.

From what I understand, this animation, when using the default particle, should just chop the default particle into 4 rows so you would get the top of the circle, the 2 middles, and the bottom as separate images.

The strange thing is that other material didn't have anything special applied to it that would indicate that it was a texture sheet. It was just a standard material and texture.

Maybe when you choose Grid, some internal Unity code is expecting the image dimensions to be multiples so that height has to be 4 times width if you choose a grid size of 1x, 4y ?

It still doesn't explain why the error takes 10-20 minutes of the particle system running, and only appears randomly and intermittently, instead of instantly when you load the scene.

Here's the original for reference:

upload_2021-9-10_13-59-8.png

upload_2021-9-10_13-59-34.png

upload_2021-9-10_13-59-59.png

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  28. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hey all, I'm looking at adding a ping to the relevant GameObject in the Hierarchy when you click on this error message in the console :)

(plus a couple of other errors in the same rendering code..)

29. michaelday008

michaelday008

As part of the bug report case I submitted for this, the Unity team was unable to reproduce it using the instructions in this forum post, so I have created a sample project with a single scene and one particle effect that will cause this to happen 100% of the time.

I created this YouTube livestream demonstrating how to reproduce the issue by literally just hitting the play button in Unity:

SoftwareGeezers and ArawnDev like this.
  30. michaelday008

michaelday008

31. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

There are a couple of updates I can give on this too:

Firstly, if you see this error in Unity 2022.1, you can now click on it and it will tell you which GameObject it came from.
    And secondly, I've received that bug report today, so I'll be looking at fixing it soon!

32. ZachIGT

ZachIGT

I'm stuck in unity 2018. Is there a method to fixing this (besides unchecking Texture Sheet Animation), or is it a Unity bug in code, for which maybe one of our engineers can back port it?

33. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi, it's a Unity bug in our code, which we only fixed in Unity 2022.

If you are a customer with source code access, then yes one of your engineers could apply the fix to your C++ source code. If this is an option for you, you can DM me and I will share the patch.