Search Unity

Particle System Randomize Direction, unwanted Z-axis randomizing

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by djfrail, Jul 28, 2021.

1. djfrail

djfrail

I’m making a particle effect using the Unity Particle System and am hoping to find a way to get more control over the RandomizeDirection feature. The game is 2D isometric and the particle effect happens in the XY axis, but RandomizeDirection also randomizes the Z axis and I need the particles to stay on the Z axis I originally assign them.

Any ideas on how to prevent particles from changing their Z value? Is there maybe a way in scripting to get at the particle emitter and prevent it from there?

Thanks for any help/ideas!

2. april_4_short

april_4_short

You can get at the particles, with Burst control, all particles (somewhere in the API) and there's some kind of vertex processing thing... too...

But before going down that route, what shape are you using to emit the particles?

If it's a 3D shape (like cone or cube) then it's going to randomise directions in 3D space, by default. If you use a 2D shape (like a circle) and keep it facing the direction of the particle system, you can ensure 2D randomisation of directions.

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Does setting the z scale within the shape module to zero solve this issue?

4. djfrail

djfrail

Using a circle

5. djfrail

djfrail

Yes it does! Thanks!

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. StevenTillson02

StevenTillson02

By default, a 3D form (such as a cone or a cube) will randomise directions in 3D space. You may guarantee 2D randomization of directions by using a 2D shape (such as a circle) and keeping it towards the direction of the particle system.

april_4_short likes this.
  7. djfrail

djfrail

True until you use randomize direction. But Richard’s fix works.

richardkettlewell likes this.