Search Unity

Particle System profiling: What is ParticleSystem.WaitForPreviousRenderingToFinish ?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by fastgamedev, Jul 15, 2018.

1. fastgamedev

fastgamedev

I am profiling a scene where particle systems are generating spikes of cpu activity. (See screenshot.) This shouldn't be happening, - there are only a handful of basic particles.

Profiler says it's due to ParticleSystem.WaitForPreviousRenderingToFinish. What is it and how to optimize it?

Attached Files:

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You should not profile the game running inside the editor. Create a build and profile it on the target platform instead. A build and the editor often have significantly different performance- and memory allocation characteristics. Many systems in Unity run significantly faster in a build.

3. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

The particle update for the current frame cannot begin until the render thread has finished submitting the draw calls for the previous cpu frame.

It’s a bottleneck that we are working on removing.

Maybe better batching/fewer draw calls can help you optimise it in the current versions of Unity.

konsic likes this.
  4. uwustudio

uwustudio

We noticed the same problem which basically breaks our game when using the Deferred rendering path.
    However we don't have this problem when using the Forward rendering path.

Is there any ETA for this fix?

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

We are working on it for 2018.3, with possible backport to 2018.2.

Malveka likes this.
  6. Malveka

Malveka

Also seeing this. A fix would be welcome, especially if it could be in 2018.2 within the next 3 weeks! :)

wait_for_previous_rendering.JPG

7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

To be honest I think it’s unlikely it will be ready that soon, sorry!

Malveka likes this.
  8. Malveka

Malveka

Hey Richard, thanks for the reply! I've done some more digging and, while ParticleSystem.WaitForPreviousRenderingToFinish may be an issue of some kind, it does not seem to be the actual source of my performance issue. From what I can make out so far, I've got a compute shader that is consuming a lot of cycles.

I noticed that if I turned off the Renderer for each of my particle systems in the scene, ParticleSystem.WaitForPreviousRenderingToFinish disappeared from the profile trace, but my frame rate didn't change.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  9. WaaghMan

WaaghMan

Chiming in to say this is a high priority issue. Even a simple query to particleSystem.isPlaying on a Stopped ParticleSystem! will cause the Update() to stall if the renderer thread is still processing the previous frame (which will cause the next frame to lag behind as well, of course...).

10. MichiealO

MichiealO

I'd like to chime in and say that I would also like to see a fix for this. This issue is causing me all kinds of stress.

11. Deeeds

Deeeds

Doing my head in. Please. Yes. This. Fix!

I'm seeing this when adding bursts via script.

12. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

This is a good point worth raising, because it's a simple bug, for which I've just made a fix. Thanks for raising it.
    The script should only "wait for rendering" if the particle array is modified, via Emit or SetParticles calls. The following methods could have caused an unnecessary stall:

- GetParticles
    - isPlaying
    - isEmitting
    - isStopped
    - isPaused
    - particleCount
    - time
    - randomSeed
    - useAutoRandomSeed

That said, we are still working on the root problem, to remove all cases where the stall could happen.

Peter77 and Deeeds like this.
  13. WaaghMan

WaaghMan

Glad to be of help :) I think in our case that should be enough to fix the performance issue, as we rarely modify particle system properties or manually spawn them, we just were checking if the particle system had finished (isPlaying==false, particleCount == 0) and disable their gameobject when this happens.

14. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

We (finally) have another update on this. Thanks for your patience.
    The work has been completed and will be available in 2018.3. The first version it will be available in is 2018.3.0b7.

Due to the scope of the fix, we do not believe it is safe to backport to 2017.4 or 2018.2, as it could introduce other unwanted side effects. We have time to fix these kinds of issues during the 2018 beta cycle, but cannot risk shipping to our stable 2017 release cycle, in case it causes other issues. Apologies that this fix will only be available in the 2018 cycle.

To be clear:
    The fix is in 2018.3
    The fix is not in 2017.4 or 2018.2

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    karl_jones likes this.
  15. laurentHINS

laurentHINS

Hi Richard, Thanks for fixing this issue. But are you sure about your last statement ? (The fix is in 2018.3 or 2018.2)
    I'm running 2018.2 and the fix is not there cause I still have the same issue. You are saying at the beginning of your post that : "Due to the scope of the fix, we do not believe it is safe to backport to 2017.4 or 2018.2, as it could introduce other unwanted side effects."
    Please, could you confirm ?
    Also could you tell me if Unity 2018 is in fact (at the current date) still in beta?
    And if yes, why are you shipping this version when I just click the download Unity button on your website?

16. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Sorry, a copy-paste mistake! I have fixed my earlier post. I hope it is clear for you now.

17. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

I'm having this problem in Unity 2018.3.12f1, or it is something else?
    particlesystem.png

18. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Can you submit a bug report?

19. DarkVerse

DarkVerse

I am still getting this on 2018.3.12f1 as well, any update?

20. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

You can try to update to the latest 2018.4 version:
    https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

If the issue still persists in 2018.4, it would probably help @richardkettlewell if you could submit a bug-report as described in this document, so he can take a look at the issue:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. I would t hen post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Richard to pick up.

21. DarkVerse

DarkVerse

Well, I just re-read this bit from Richard a few posts back and realised that I was calling Emit and/or SetParticles, so in my case I think the behaviour is as expected.

22. Nikodemus

Nikodemus

Is this fix in the beta 3 2019.2? Getting abnormal spikes on the Oculus Quest.

23. xzbobzx

xzbobzx

So what version of Unity has this fixed (if any)? I'm getting heavy spikes on 2018.3.0f2

(with profiler connected to build)

24. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

25. Nikodemus

Nikodemus

Same issue with 2018.4.1.

26. mrtenda

mrtenda

Did this fix make it into 2019.2? I'm still seeing it consistently happen in 2019.2.5f1:

upload_2019-9-12_6-1-56.png

27. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Yes. What are the threads doing on the timeline profiler view?

28. mrtenda

mrtenda

Here's what the profiler window looks like with the CPU spike selected:

upload_2019-9-12_7-32-2.png

29. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

The job threads are collapsed but I think I can see 2 very long-running particle jobs in there. Those would cause the stall. Are you sure you haven’t got some very expensive particle systems in your scene?

Eg very high particle counts, or mesh particles that aren’t using gpu instancing, would be the 2 most likely candidates.

chLim and mrtenda like this.
  30. mrtenda

mrtenda

Whoops, looks like it was just a high particle count as you mentioned. Sorry, I should have looked into that first. Thanks for the help!

31. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Glad you sorted it!

mrtenda likes this.
unityunity