Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle System Physics

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Quidam2k, May 21, 2018.

1. Quidam2k

Quidam2k

If I'm mistaken in my understanding of the below, I beg to be corrected, as currently particle physics vex me.

I don't understand why colliders that are triggers are treated so differently by particles. The Collision module can interact with any collider except for ones that are also triggers. The Triggers module can only interact with six triggers at a time, a limit which seems to be hardcoded. I don't understand why maxColliderCount even exists if it's synonymous to "6", you can't change it, and it doesn't tell you how many are in there at any given point in time, and since you have to specify the index when calling SetCollider, it's a bit of a hassle.

On top of this, OnParticleTrigger doesn't get called on the colliders themselves, they only get called on the particle system, and there's no way of knowing which collider was hit without doing your own comparisons of positions and making your best guess- unless they're irregular mesh colliders.

What I would love would be for trigger colliders to be treated just like other, non-particle colliders. Maybe for the "kill, ignore, callback" dropdowns you could choose layers for those, as I can see as how they're useful for a lot of situations.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!