Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Particle system not visible in Game view when using 2D Scene view, but on 3D works fine

Discussion in '2D' started by c8theino, May 5, 2021.

1. c8theino

c8theino

I have found a strange bug with the particle system. If Scene view is set to 2D and particle duration is set to 1, the fire particle system is not visible anymore in Game view after I enable / disable the particle system. If the particle duration is set to 1.5 or if I change to 3D Scene view, it works without any problems.

Here is a gif demonstrating the fire effect on 2D / 3D scene view. I have set the smoke duration to 1.5 so you can see that the 1.5 duration works fine but the fire does not.

It also seems to work correctly if I zoom out of the Scene view in 2D like this:

Unity Version: 2020.3.5f1
    Fire Particle System: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/particles/fire-explosions/flames-of-the-phoenix-46176

EDIT 1: If I set the simulation space to local, it seems to work correctly. There seems to be some problem with the y position of the object. When the match falls to -20 at y axis, it gets disabled and when it gets enabled and moved back to touch position, it somehow breaks the world position system for the fire. If I change the y distance to disable to -10, it works correctly.

EDIT 2: I tested this by closing the Scene view completely. If the Match gets disabled outside of screen, the particle system does not work anymore on enable when it is moved back to screen. As long as the Match is visible when it gets disabled, everything works fine on enable.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  2. c8theino

c8theino

I fixed it by setting the Culling mode either to "Automatic" or "Always Simulate". I have no idea if this buggy behavior is intended with the "Pause" and "Pause and Catch-Up" modes, but it sure seems like a bug to me.