Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle system in a cirtain shaped territory

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Orr10c, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Orr10c

Orr10c

Hello :)
    I've been working on a 3d fame lately in which I'm making a procedurally generated low poly world, about a week ago I came up with the idea of adding particle systems to different bioms, for example snow particles for the snowy biom etc... but with no success so far so I decided I would ask for help here.

If it has any importance the bioms system is based on voronoi diagram for those of you who heard of it.
    My goal is to be able to generate a particle system that could fit the shape of bioms that are generated randomly on a mesh, my mesh is low poly so each triangle has its own 3 vertices, each chunk generated has a 2d array which holds the information for each 2 connected triangles and among that data is an integer that holds a biom ID number.

If anybody knows a way of doing such thing or has a creative idea which he would like to share here that would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank you so much, every help or idea is helpful! :)

2. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

Use your meshes as the shape of the emitter. Then you can specify vertex, face or edge.

After that it's up to your particles settings if they stay in the correct area.

Also if you use vertex the particles directions should be based on the normal. So you can aim them. For instance all towards the inside of the mesh.

3. Orr10c

Orr10c

First of all thanks for the reply, I will definitely give it a go but I hope I can find a way that will take less lines of code for the computer, I already have alot of work for the cpu in my code and I don't want to burden the computer too much, but I'll still try it :)
    Thanks alot again!