Search Unity

Particle system emit with single frame delay

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by olejuer, Jul 22, 2021.

1. olejuer

olejuer

Hi everyone,

it seems that particle systems emit their first particle one frame after activation, i.e., with a delay of one "Fixed Timestep". This makes it hard to synchronize particle systems with other timing sensitive animations. I was wondering if this is intentional and whether it is possible to make particle systems emit on the first frame instead. I would expect this to be the default, because I can setup a burst emission at time 0, which is explicitly not delayed by one frame.

To visualize the problem, I have created a particle system that emits one particle with speed one and a sphere that is moved by an Animator at the same speed for reference. Particle and Sphere should be always perfectly aligned. However, they are offset with a distance corresponding to the configured fixed timestep. It becomes very apparent when increasing the fixed timestep.

Thanks!

upload_2021-7-22_10-30-13.png

kana1939 likes this.
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Are you using Rate over Time emission?
    And are you saying Burst emission works correctly with no delay?

3. kana1939

kana1939

same question

4. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Same question from me too!

5. olejuer

olejuer

Ah, sorry I left this pending!`
    I actually reported a bug back then and it was claimed to be fixed in Unity 2022.1.0a10 and above.
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1352736_bto92e6pcvis0ac0

I was talking about burst emissions. It used to be that a burst configured for t=0 was actually only emitted after one FixedTimeframe period had passed.

richardkettlewell likes this.