Search Unity

Question Particle System and Trigger Colliders

Discussion in 'Physics' started by mattbru2, Dec 1, 2022.

1. mattbru2

mattbru2

I can't post my whole project, but basically imagine a trigger collider (10 meter sphere) around the player. If a particle enters that trigger collider, I want to do something (like a pop up that says "vision is obscured!"). I don't want the particles to actually collide and be moved by this collider, thus it is a trigger.

I cannot get the OnParticleCollision to activate when the collider is a trigger. I've found a few posts/youtube videos saying this is true, but I haven't found any Unity documentation on it.

Is there a way to do this?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The physics team don't deal with this. If you have a particle question then it's best to add a tag of "particles" so they can see it.

It's right there in the particle docs and the first link in a Google Search: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PartSysTriggersModule.html

Just like physics itself, there's a distinction between a collision and trigger.

3. mattbru2

mattbru2

So in my actual sim I have dozens of short lived particle systems being created at any point and potentially hundreds of dynamically created colliders. The trigger module seems to suggest that I would have to keep track of all of my particle systems and then register any dynamically created collider against all of them? I would hope there is a way to do this with layers as is done with the collider module?

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I'm not a particle dev. As I said, you should use the particles tag to try to get a particle devs attention. The physics teams did not create the particles modules etc. Personally, I've never used them.

Sorry.

5. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Sorry we only have an option for a list of colliders in the trigger module.

MelvMay likes this.