Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle System Allow Roll not working properly.

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by bgolus, Oct 12, 2018.

1. bgolus

bgolus

Technically it does do what it says. When the camera rolls, the particle keep their orientation in world space if Allow Roll is disabled. However particles now do roll when the camera's pitch changes.

DisableRollPitch.gif

Note: If the camera is facing towards world positive Z, it works as intended with no roll on pitch. The issue becomes noticeable when the camera is facing any other orientation, getting worse as you get closer to negative Z. I suggest testing this internally with a non-axis aligned camera.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

3. bgolus

bgolus

Indeed, those are the same problem. If the camera's pitch isn't exactly 0° then the particles spin when rotating the camera around Y.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  4. Jeff_Nicholls

Jeff_Nicholls

Random person here, updated to the 2018.3 beta today specifically in the hopes of seeing support for this feature. Can verify that particle rotation is not working well for me when the camera orbits around a given billboard.

Seeing the bug report there I'm sure I'm just yelling into the wind now, but just thought I would post anyway to underline that at least somebody cares about seeing this fixed.

hippocoder and LeonhardP like this.