Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Particle Playground

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by save, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SticklandPWorm

SticklandPWorm

Hi we're finding that the skinned mesh renderer is not updating as an emitter with morph targets. How do we correct this?

Thanks

2. SticklandPWorm

SticklandPWorm

We've already got Force Update on Main-Thread, Mesh Vertices Update and Mesh Normals update on.....

3. davide445

davide445

Purchased PP for VFX video creation with Helios, for an upcoming Saturday event I need to create a champagne jet from a bottle, did you have suggestions for the particles materials and general setup.

4. s_guy

s_guy

When you set emit = false and then emit = true again before an emitter loop restarts, you get a burst of particles instead of the regular specified rate. The particles in that burst also appear to be pre-aged, e.g. they seem to have the scale meant for late in their lifetime. You can see this on the default Particle Playground system.

Any good workaround for this?

5. castor76

castor76

Can we please get an update so we don't get so many warnings for 5.6 ?

6. davide445

davide445

Want to create an emission with different predefined branches such as in this video

I supposed will be possible using a Spline Target Manipulator but I can't find any way to achieve a near effect such as in the video.

C_p_H likes this.
  7. davide445

davide445

Searching a way to breakup an object and generate particles such as in this tutorial

There is a way in Unity to use boolean to subtract an object from another. Also how can I dynamically generate particles from the remaining border.

8. castor76

castor76

Can we please get an update so we don't get so many warnings for 5.6 ?

9. castor76

castor76

Is this abandoned? No support?

10. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Did you try reaching him at support@polyfied.com? I'm guessing he is to busy with other projects and doesn't get the notification mails from this thread (happens).

hopeful likes this.
  11. castor76

castor76

Just did! Cheers.

12. ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

我发现这脚本似乎忘了添加类似“延迟时间”的功能,“Start Delay”那样的功能,是否你忘了把这个功能写进去代码?要是有新添加这种功能并且改好的代码请发到我的邮箱地址,我的邮箱地址是:1715748124@qq.com,谢谢!

13. castor76

castor76

There is no reply from email , or here. I think this asset may had its days. Sad.

zyzyx likes this.
  14. C_p_H

C_p_H

Try reaching him here:
    lars-erik@polyfied.com
    Polyfied Particle Playground is his side gig.
    He's currently the lead programmer at TocaBoca.com
    tel: http://polyfied.com/connect/
    Edit: Added his # above from his website (My apologies in advance if it wasn't supposed to be shared on this forum, but there's no disclaimer stating otherwise).
    Hope this is helpful.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  15. trelobyte

trelobyte

Hello guys! great plugin! I was wondering could i create a volumetric cloud system like the one below in unreal engine.

I have already replicated the sprite sheet production in Houdini. But not quite sure how i can go about it in unity with particle playground. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

16. castor76

castor76

I tried all of the emails, and here and there, but NOTHING. I consider this asset to be abandoned and not supported any more.

zhuchun and zyzyx like this.
  17. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Yeah, I've been trying to reach the author for a few days now. No donuts for me =[

I really find this tool to be my number one solution for particle effects, but in Unity 2017 all of the C scripts are broken.
    I have over 300 FX's done in PP and I really do not know what to do =P

18. zhuchun

zhuchun

I guess it's the time to embrace the native system
    I translated particles from PP to Shuriken, that was not hard since PP is based on Shuriken, but it's time-consuming. Shuriken is even better in Unity 2017, considering docs and supports, it's a good choice.

19. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

I guess you're right. Gotta start with C++ to try and make some scripts for my effects.
    Anyways, super sad about the lack of updates/support. Pretty awesome asset to be left abandoned.

20. zhuchun

zhuchun

C++ o_O
    C# is fair enough, Unity 2017 expose more particle system APIs, check it out

PP did what native particle system couldn't in the past, so I don't blame its developer. But I do think Asset Store should let developer decides asset should be pay once or subscribe, I've seen so many awesome assets have been abandoned this year just because their developers can't make enough money from them, that's unfair and it hurts us all eventually.

21. Elliott-Mitchell

Elliott-Mitchell

Hey there!!

Does anyone know if you can create splines that have sharp corners, like a triangle? I can't seem to be able to create such a curve from within Particle Playground.

If not, can I use externally created splines to animate particles along?

Cheers,
    Elliott

22. Subere023

Subere023

Hi,

Is the ParticleSystemScaler.cs script broken at the moment? I am working on HoloLens projects which require objects to be about .05 scale. When I add PP particles to the scene and add the ParticleSystemScaler nothing happens.

I have been playing with creating the particle systems myself and scaling manually, no matter what I do, the emitter shape does not scale and makes it useless for my project.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Jason

23. C_p_H

C_p_H

PP_Local Transform Scale_Warning.png
    Hey I set my local Transform to a scale of 1 then the warning went away, and I can adjust scale settings via PP/Particle Settings/Size.

Hopefully it'll be this easy for yah.

hopeful likes this.
  24. C_p_H

C_p_H

Just an update: Not making excuses for him but he's actually an extremely busy man!

TocaBoca has 97,108 subscribers • 74,999,844 views on YouTube at the time of this update compared to 293 subscribers • 90,087 views for Polyfied Particle Playground.
    Yep, I think those stats speaks volumes for itself so it may be quite some time before we hear anything from him on this forum. At least on the upside Particle Playground hasn't been Deprecated on the Asset Store yet.

Keeping him in my prayers and wish him only the best for his future, & hopefully he'll make a return as soon as time permits for an upgraded release of PP. I truly believe PP is the best particle asset in the store at its price point, however if I ever get into a professional bind and in need of updates to PP I can't perform in C# myself there's always PopcornFX to reconsider as an alternative.
    Particle_Playground_Programmer.png
    Respectfully.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  25. bumd

bumd

In case anyone knows, is there a way to update/refresh the source state texture via API after I change the texture from script? There's a button called 'refresh' in unity editor but not in API i'm guessing. So do I have to dig in to editor scripts and expose it to public ?

26. C_p_H

C_p_H

The Event system give particles the ability to talk to other Particle Playground systems and game logic in the scene. Through the list of Snapshots you can load particle settings and jump through live particle states.

I believe there's a way to update or refresh between scene scripts via Inspector/Playground Particles C/Snapshots/Transition Time/Type, etc... through this method you probably wouldn't need to code anything because the Snapshots can switch on the fly between multiple PP scripts each containing a source state texture of your choosing.:cool:

27. C_p_H

C_p_H

@ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
    English to Japanese=>
    You can set a "Latency or Start Delay" time within Unity Inspector/Playground Particles C(your PP scene script)/Events/Time/Type.
    Hope this was helpful.

Unity Inspector / Playground Particles C(あなたのPPシーンスクリプト)/ Events / Time / Type内で、「レイテンシまたは開始遅延」時間を設定できます。
    これが参考になることを願っています。

28. C_p_H

C_p_H

@davide445
    If you haven't already, try the "Playground Follow component", in combination with your Spline/Trails setup. I got the idea from this video.
    :).

29. C_p_H

C_p_H

@davide445
    I discovered that it appears you can do this via PP Sources. Haven't attempted it myself yet but here's a video.

30. C_p_H

C_p_H

@trelobyte
    It appears to be possible while manipulating the PP Rendering (Source) settings, i.e. attached to a Cloud (PP procedural Turbulent, Noise) with a Material/static or dynamic Shader.

Can also generate volumetric clouds system by playing around with the PP Source Scatter : Spherical (combined with speed/size/color, etc.) to achieve your desired effect.

31. Hitch42

Hitch42

recon0303, C_p_H and hopeful like this.
  32. recon0303

recon0303

If you own Particle Playground you can still download the package from the Unity Asset Store up till March 2018,

Since when can they shut off, assets from our accounts??? that we bought??? we should be able to download ... since we bought, we just wont get updates or support, unless we do ourselves which is fine.... but I like to know what the deal is with that statement, anyone hear of assets that are off the store being removed from OUR accounts?

33. amindler

amindler

What did the post say on their site? It appears their site is down as well.

34. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

lol I bought this asset a week before the announcement... damn.

Anyway, does anyone know if you can mask particles with a trail (including the trail itself)? I'm trying to do something very simple - vary the particle count over time. Changing the particle count value doesn't work due to having to recache each time so I read that the mask was the way to go but it doesn't hide the trail.

Thanks in advance

35. C_p_H

C_p_H

These vids really helped me understand a lot, If you've already studied these than it doesn't hurt to review them again for a deeper understanding (I always find myself referring back to them from time to time); here's the link for your convenience : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPLL7StDjBdhiX4kstrs7YhqOeybeB5-3

36. C_p_H

C_p_H

In a nutshell it says "Development of Particle Playground has been paused and is no longer available to purchase. Read more about why in this blog post."

37. BillyMFT

BillyMFT

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it's worth investing time in learning how to use this tool given that it is no longer being supported or updated? Wondering if I might be better off learning how to achieve all the same effects using the built in shuriken engine.

Thanks

38. hopeful

hopeful

My impression is that Unity sometimes now removes assets from the store that you have purchased, instead of just deprecating them. Why they made the decision to do that, I don't know, and if they do it all the time or just in some situations, I don't know.

39. C_p_H

C_p_H

The UI/UX alone IMHO still makes Particle Playground(PP) worth utilizing, out of all the other particle assets on the store its tabbed based interface has the most polish (highest quality ease of use implementation at its price point) which comes in very handy when your development grows to proportions that are harder to maintain organization.
    PP also works seamlessly with Unity Shuriken because the developer was a forward thinker he had the forethought to ensure its compatibility and implement direct connections with Shuriken Systems throughout PP (e.g. the "Show Shuriken" component within PP Inspector is pure genius).

On the other hand in order to keep using PP in future versions beyond Unity 2017, you'll certainly need to dive into PP's C# scripts to update a few of the obsolete calls indicated in the Console warnings (in most cases its just a matter of replacing the obsolete code with the newer code Unity asked for). Its certainly annoying to do so because the developer is on hiatus so if you get stuck implementing an update to the code you'll have to refer to the online Unity Script Manual for clues, etc., my current preference is to do this in VSCode but others may use Script Inspector, Visual Studio or MonoDevelop.

In my case it hasn't become a deal breaker thus far, however I don't consider myself an expert coder so I'm sure the day will come when I've reached my wits end manually updating PP's scripts. Hopefully by that time a new release of PP will arise from the ashes or I'll at least have enough experience and expendable income to move on with something like PopcornFX(High_end) or Particle Dynamic Magic(Med/Low_end). Your mileage may vary of course.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    recon0303 likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

If PP is likely to get mothballed, I would hope @save might consider passing the tool to another Unity particle FX dev, so that the community might continue to be served.

I don't know what's in PP that ought to be salvaged, as Unity has been making great strides with particles lately, but someone very into particle FX might know.

41. recon0303

recon0303

total nonsense, if they do that. we pay for something, we should be keeping it... period. I understand NOT getting support.. but for them to remove something from our accounts, I feel is totally nonsense. to be safe people should download the package incase they pull this.

nirvanajie, chelnok and hopeful like this.
  42. recon0303

recon0303

100% agreed here..

43. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

hopeful likes this.
  44. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I wonder why there has not been almost any post during all the year 2018?

Is this asset going to be abandoned and not kept updated?

It was very active and used before, but now there is no posts or activity regarding this asset

I would really love very much that there could be a version 4 with even more effects and features

All the best

jashan likes this.
  45. ikazrima

ikazrima

I was already deprecated 2017.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

I think you can acceess deprecated assets if you have already bought them forever. At least that is how i understood the store handles this now

47. recon0303

recon0303

ya I always could, but this was said awhile ago, that we could lose some. its still there, but this is something we heard could happen. so to play it safe always good to download, who knows what Unity made decide to do.