Search Unity

Bug Particle Lit Cube output fully transparent in Editor

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by koirat, Apr 12, 2021.

1. koirat

koirat

In play mode particles shows as intended.
    Unfortunately in edit mode (scene or prefab edit) cubes are completely invisible.
    They are there when you select the GameObject in hierarchy there is orange outline around particles.

When I output Lit Quads at the same time they show on a screen so it looks like a purely Cube Output problem.

Unity3d 2020.3.3f1 HDRP

2. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Hya, just checked 2020.3.3f1 Particle Lit Cube output and seems to look fine in Scene View. Would you mind sharing your graph?

3. koirat

koirat

Please take a look at the screenshot.

There is not orange outline because I decided to select the Output Block settings for Lit Cube but the orange outlines are around invisible cubes even in edit mode.

As you can see it does display Output Particle Lit Quad without problem at the same place as Cubes should be. In Play mode Cubes completely hides the quads (inside).

Graph is very simple what is not seen is just burst once 10000 particles set position in sphere and randomize orientation (last one is partially seen). The rest is on the picture.

4. koirat

koirat

Just created simpler test and the bug is persistent.
    Created New graph deleted everything created system swarm, delete Output Particle Quad and added Output particle Lit Cube.

I'm using HDRP defered unity3d 2020.3.3f1 just update to this version today, also today updated the project from 2020.2.

5. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

Thank you for sharing the graph and simplified reproduction. I've just tried to do the exact same with swarm system + deferred rendering and it works like a charm (tried on both macOS and win).

Can you reproduce the same issue on a newly created project? Speaking of existing project, could you try rebuilding your VFXs (Edit > Visual Effects > Rebuild and Save All Visual Effect Graphs)? If it doesn't help, I'd love if you could attach any project you were able to reproduce the issue. I'd take a closer look and, of course, once I find out something, I'll get back. It can be attached here.

6. koirat

koirat

I have found the problem. I'm not sure but It probably still should be considered a bug.
    When you disable light in scene view by un-pressing the light bulb next to 2D/3D view selection cubes becomes invisible.

7. Vita-

Vita-

Unity Technologies

A-ha, I can see the issue too, now. Thank you for sharing this, I've logged this bug in our internal document so we can keep track of it.

Both Output Particle Lit Cube and Output Particle Lit Sphere are still in experimental and indeed have major issues. I highly recommend you, as an alternative to these Outputs, use Output Particle Mesh to avoid this and other similar issues.

If you have questions, let me know.