Search Unity

particle emission trails different depending on framerate?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Mike01923, May 13, 2020.

1. Mike01923

Mike01923

I just noticed that all my particles aren't emitting as much since I set my targetFrameRate to 30 and look very different at 30 compared to 60, especially the trails. All my particles are purely decorative and usually I have them emitting based on distance.

How do you create particle trail effects where the effect looks the same at 30fps and 200fps?

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

The only way I can imagine there being a difference is at very low rates of emission.

For instance, lets say in a 30th of a second you WOULD have emitted 3 particles.

But in 60th of a second that comes out to 1.5 particles. Well that rounds down to 1.0 particles.

Next frame I am going to guess the particle system does not "carry over" that 0.5 particle and give you 2 particles, but I could be wrong.

The above would apply to either rate-over-distance or rate-over-time.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Hmm really? That's kind of disappointing if they don't carry over the remainder. I'll put it in the "test this out later" list...

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I imagine it would only be noticeable if your emission rate divided by your frame rate resulted in very small number.

5. florinel2102

florinel2102

Same problem , I resolved by using particleSystem.emission.enabled = true instead of particleSystem.Play() , I don't know exactly why .