Search Unity

Particle Effects - Methane Gas Flame ignition

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by artofmining, Aug 3, 2020.

1. artofmining

artofmining

Hi
    I develop 3D and VR visuals for mining heritage and coal mine safety training.

I want to try and simulate a methane gas ignition similar to this video recording:

From this a subsequent coal dust explosion happens. The app I'm working on does mostly all FX in realtime so its not a perfect visual but suffice for the need.

I've tried looking at the various Flame FX but most tend to be fire and smoke or explosions. Methane ignitions are more organic, blue burning flame and slowly progressive as it burns up and out.

Any suggestions on how to acheive a similar effect using Particles would be appreciated! Even better if you have one already made that you could share/trade :)

Many thanks
    Archie

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS4xEu-iSdR_pPPkfBp20AA/

www.artofmining.com

https://www.facebook.com/artofmining/

2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Aye cool vids!

Okay. If you're trying to do something like that, using alot of particles, your game is going to slowdown and lag badly on PC. And worse on mobile. You might have to use a combination, of a good number of particles, together with a warping animated fire animation, in the form of an animated texture that has alpha transparency on it.

PS: A mining game? Interesting concept.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  3. artofmining

artofmining

Cheers Brandy
    I worked in the mines and mining engineering for many years some time back. I do my work mainly for history & heritage etc. but looking to develop further into games with Pit Mouse. Also VR based.

So far no significant lag on my system I7 + 1080 GPU and have tested on other machines. This level of dev and GFX won't be ported to mobile.

I've fudged an existing effect that might do for this. Its not easy to get a realsitic FX in realtime but I prefer to use this as its for simulation purposes not so much a game as more an educational tool this app. So the end user is able to situate at various points and run the blast simulation. This is still WIP and is a multi interactable system.

Cheers
    A