Search Unity

Particle billboards with emissive and specular

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by yusefkerr, Mar 21, 2020.

1. yusefkerr

yusefkerr

Hello, I'm starting to play around with the VFX graph, and I wondered whether it's possible to render billboards that contribute emissive light to the scene. This also got me wondering whether billboards can have specular/roughness properties? Are either of these things possible?

I've read that the physics engine in Unity can't read the VFX graph position data from the graphics card for doing things like bouncing particles, and I imagine that this will involved the same issue.

I wondered whether it was possible to use the old particle system to drive the nex vfx graph as a hacky solution, so I would generate a few particles using the old system that could interact physically with the environment, and then use the position of each of those particles as the starting point to spawn other particles using the VFX graph. Is that something that people have done in the past?

2. ThomasVFX

ThomasVFX

Right now if you're using any Ouput Particle Lit Quad / Octagon / Triangle, you can use HDRP lit features such as Specular/Metallic + Roughness BRDF.

If you need to enable Emissive on these outputs you can do so in the inspector by selecting the Output Lit context and enable the Options "Use Emissive" or "Use Emissive Map".

upload_2020-3-23_9-49-50.png

After enabling any of these you will have more slots visible on the context to either set an emissive color and/or the emissive map.

If you need to control emissive using the particle color, you can also the Color Mode and select any combination of Base Color and/or Emissive.

Finally, if you want more custom control over lit feature and emission, you can also use a VFX ShaderGraph and enable its "Lit" option so it can be used on any Lit Output Context.

zeropointblack likes this.
  3. Todiloo

Todiloo

Necroing an old thread but is this possible in URP? The "Output particle quad" I cant find a lit option or similar nodes? (Have experimental checked in settings)

4. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

Hi @Todiloo ,
    Yup, Lit Outputs for URP are added for Unity 2021.2, if you'd like to give them a try you can grab the beta here.

Attached Files:

Todiloo likes this.
  5. Todiloo

Todiloo

I might do that. I don't really need my particles be affected by light but I want to have a glow effect on them and I could not find a way to do that really. Did have my go at creating a vfx shader but well, not that impressive so far :)

6. VladVNeykov

VladVNeykov

Unity Technologies

You don't need lit particles to make particles glow in URP:
    1. Make sure the camera has Post Processing enabled
    2. Add a global volume and include the Bloom post processing effect. A Threshold of 1 and an intensity of at least 1 should be a good staring point.
    3. In your VFX, simply increase your color to above 1 (or click on the color and in the new window increase its intensity).
    Any values above the threshold you set in step 2. will glow with the intensity you specfied.

(In newer URP versions I believe there's an extra checkbox in the URP renderer (not the URP asset, but the renderer it references on top) for post processing which might be off. Take a look there if the above steps don't work for you).

p.s. you can also check the URP manual for setting up post-processing.

Attached Files:

7. Todiloo

Todiloo

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. Somehow I hadn't figured out why glow behaved like it does. Do you happen to have a reference on how to apply it to texture. What I mean is I have a particle that I want to have a white line with glow around it. So I can't intensify the whole color of the particle, if that makes sense?

Again, thank you very much for your help. I don't know if VFX isn't as established as other tools or if it is basically directed against visual effect artists (who knows a lot more about this than me already) but it is a bit hard to find resources.