Search Unity

Partially reuse Mecanim to prevent redundancy

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Jordii, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Jordii

Jordii

Hey everyone,

Short question. We have characters which are animated via an AnimationController. I'm working on a game with about 6 characters. A large portion of the logic between this characters can be the same. So vertical/horizontal variables will in all cases result the character to land in the movement blend tree. This is shared logic which I do not want to make and maintain over six duplicates of an AnimationController. I prefer to keep this at one.

Then there is character specific logic, where like in most RPGs the character, on pressing the 'attack' button will run down its own complex tree of attacking logic. This data -- logic and blendtimes -- are things that need to be very specific.

Using an AnimationOverrideController will not solve my problem (probably only if I want to replace the walk animation), since the state logic for attacking per character can be different.

What is a proper way to solve this?

TL;DR I want to use Mecanim in a matter that it reduces redundancy over multiple characters with slightly different. but mostly shared logic.

Thanks in advance :)

theANMATOR2b likes this.