Search Unity

[part-time] Neurofeedback R&D app: dev help wanted with signal processing and visualization

Discussion in 'Commercial: Job Offering' started by lazer, Feb 28, 2021.

1. lazer

lazer

Hi - I'm Daniel. I'm building a unity toolbox to help me rapidly assemble and test neurofeedback protocols for neuromeditation, peak performance, and general real-time debugging of my own brain. If successful, the project may increase in scope to be more useful to others and/or become a platform for a commercial offering.

No idea wtf I'm talking about but intrigued nonetheless? This video will give you a solid intro to neurofeedback and neuromeditation:

I have the skills to do everything myself, but not the bandwidth. I have a basic prototype and framework running now; I'm looking for someone to work closely with me to build out the prototypes and more-polished components as we explore the design space. This will be part-time, highly iterative work, payed hourly or on defined-scope deliverables. I'll be playing the role of lead developer/architect.

No experience in EEG or neurofeedback is strictly necessary, but experience with real-time signal processing and scientific visualizations is. Sample rates will be in the 250-1khz range with up to 32 channels of incoming data being simultaneously processing and visualized, so experience managing threads and memory and high performance rendering techniques in unity will be desirable. It will be eventually be necessary to obtain some inexpensive hardware from e.g. OpenBCI to be able to test the software yourself. You must be willing to test your code on your own brain!

I'm not picky about timezones, my only constraint is that you be available to sync in the 6-7 window pacific time. I expect the engagement to last at least 1 month, 10 hours a week minimum committment. Individuals only, no agencies.

Examples of projects where your help would be valuable:
    - implement support for HackEEG 8-32ch hardware
    - maintaining/optimizing core signal graph components for runtime/memory
    - refactoring/rationalizing/prettifying UI components
    - implementing high performance trace plotting UI widgets
    - implementing high performance real-time spectrogram visualizations of EEG signals
    - implementing and tuning custom digital FIR filters
    - porting python code to C# for artifact detection, feature extraction, etc
    - porting and implementing sLORETA computations from e.g. MNE to C#
    - visualizing 3d maps of realtime brain activity in an attractive and performant way
    - creating soothing dynamic soundscapes that respond with minimum possibly latency to input signal features
    - improving logging and debug visualizations
    - adding playback/record capabilities for signals and feedback outputs

More about me and my style:
    - I'm very blunt and direct
    - I've been writing software for 20 years; I know what quality looks like and what it is worth
    - I wont micromanage, but I WILL be EXTREMELY specific about how certain things must be done. This may be annoying to you, and your work will be rejected if you didn't take the time to understand the requirements or just got the math wrong. Too bad, you were warned!
    - professionalism > skill > experience. If you aren't able to interact and communicate like an adult, please save me the trouble of firing you!

If you aren't scared off yet, please PM me with a brief blurb about you, why you're interested in the project, why you think you can help, and an artifact of your past work.

Daniel

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Marcos_Rodriguez likes this.