Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Parenting a networkobject be allowed when rootparent is networkobject and direct parent is not

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by liambilly, Feb 17, 2023.

1. liambilly

liambilly

when i enable or diable a gameobject this information is not being correctly synched that only the client who disabled or enabled the object can see this information, how would i go about this to make if i disable it wont be visible for anyone and if i enable it it becames visble again for everyone,
    this object has a monobehavior

2. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

Maybe call a clientRPC to dissable/enable the object for all players?

3. liambilly

liambilly

a clientRpc can only be calledby the server

4. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

But you can call a ServerRPC from the client to do the opposite!

5. liambilly

liambilly

so i should do a
    cllientrpc inside of a serverrpc

lavagoatGG likes this.
  6. liambilly

liambilly

this method works only for networkbehaviors with a networkobject bt not for a monobehavior

7. liambilly

liambilly

i would change my script to a network behavior but the problem is this object i want to synchronize its active state,i have to parent it and we know parenting on networkobjects is tricky,

so isnt there a way to synch a monobehavior active stave?

8. lavagoatGG

lavagoatGG

You can call clientRPC on another script that is network behavior and in it find ans disable the objects you need

9. liambilly

liambilly

i mean the object im trying to set the active state,has a monobehavior, im trying to set its activity from a network behavior but apperently its not possible since it doesnt have a networkobject
    . i tried to do the same with a test game object that has a networkobject, that test worked,
    but adding a network object to the object im trying to set it activity will be out of the question for me since im using has some rigs that will control the objects aim n position n that must be under the animator, n network objects come with other parenting issues since im not parenting it directly under the player root

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  10. liambilly

liambilly

heres also an answer ive gotten from from OpenAI.

[[MY QUESTION: what if the weapon doesnt have a network object will this active information be synched

OPENAI: If the weapon game object doesn't have a NetworkIdentity component attached to it, then the OnTriggerEnter method in the example script will only be called on the local client that triggered the collider, and the SetActive(false) call will only disable the weapon object on that client. The state of the weapon object won't be synchronized across the network to other clients, so they won't be able to see that the weapon has been picked up.

To synchronize the state of the weapon object across the network, you'll need to attach a NetworkIdentity component to it and spawn it using the NetworkServer.Spawn method.]]

i also read unitys parenting doc my issue is like the player tryin to parent under a certain car seat, bt still i cant spawn parts of player and reparent them on spawn especially since they depend on rigs ,i think this issue is hopeless for now

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  11. liambilly

liambilly

[THE FEATURE REQUEST]
    so id request unity to incoporate a way to parent network objects under non networkobject saying as long as the root of that parent has a network object

OR

a way to synchronize active states of a non network objects to all clients

12. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

@liambilly Have you already had a look at the examples in the official ClientDriven sample?

If not, you can download it here.

Its examples show how to use the third person controller asset in a multiplayer environment for movement and picking objects up

13. liambilly

liambilly

yes ive had a look at it, the player is parenting those networkobjects directly below him not to any of his children. it would be better for unity to allow parenting network objects just looking at the root instead of parent

14. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

@liambilly Would it be possible for you to open a feature request here? In this way, the team behind Netcode For GameObject will be able to prioritize your features, and you'll be automatically updated about their status

15. liambilly

liambilly

RikuTheFuffs-U likes this.
  16. RikuTheFuffs-U

RikuTheFuffs-U

Unity Technologies

@liambilly thanks! I see that one of the devs provided a very detailed answer there, did you manage to try it out?

17. MrBigly

MrBigly

RikuTheFuffs-U likes this.
  18. MrBigly

MrBigly

This problem has been rolling around the back of my mind quite a bit.

In the document @RikuTheFuffs-U pointed us to, it shows a use case with a vehicle example. Unity says that best practice is that the seats need to be removed from the vehicle prefab and spawned as separate prefabs, then parented to the vehicle. But this assumes that they require Network Objects to parent the pawn to them if NGO is to replicate the parenting.

Let's say that the seats don't have a NO on them and they remain part of the vehicle prefab. When the server decides to mount the pawn onto a seat, let's say the vehicle has a mounting script that is used for this purpose. Let's say that this script parents the pawn to the seat that it is closest to. Now we have the following tree:

Vehicle - NO
    + Seat
    + Seat
    + pawn - NO​

Can the vehicle script simply parent the pawn to the seat by something like the following line of code?

Code (CSharp):
    1. pawn.transform.parent = this.seat[n].transform;
    If so, what is sent across the wire when this happens? If nothing, then the script could RPC the clients to parent the pawn to seat[n], yes?