Search Unity

Parent Player Rotate With Child Camera

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Kiesco91, May 24, 2020.

1. Kiesco91

Kiesco91

Hello,

I'm having an issue with getting my parent player object not rotating with my child camera. I am using the RB FPS Controller from standard assets and I have a FixedTouch Panel to rotate my camera and that works absolutely fine so don't want to mess with that.

I also have a simple joystick set up for my player and the issue is when I start the game everything works great. forwards, backwards, left and right and I can look around but then if I look around or spin my camera 180 and try to move, the players rotation doesn't follow so up becomes down and right becomes left etc. I know I have nothing in my script to warrant this but I don't know how to as the camera is a child object. I have tried setting the camera as the parent and the RB FPS as a child but then my camera doesn't work properly and the character doesn't move at all.

my basic movement script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class PlayerMovement : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    8.     public CharacterController controllerPlayer;
    9.     public float speed = 10f;
    11.     // Start is called before the first frame update
    12.     void Start()
    13.     {
    14.         controllerPlayer = GetComponent<CharacterController>();
    15.     }
    17.     // Update is called once per frame
    18.     void Update()
    19.     {
    20.         Vector3 mov = new Vector3(SimpleInput.GetAxis("Horizontal") * speed, 0, SimpleInput.GetAxis("Vertical") * speed);
    22.         controllerPlayer.Move(mov * Time.deltaTime);
    23.     }
    24. }

Thanks In Advance!

2. davidnibi

davidnibi

What happens if you directly alter this objects transforms and not character controller?

3. Kiesco91

Kiesco91

Hello!

Sorry, I'm not 100% what you mean. As in manually adjust the transform? So if I 180 my camera in play mode and then in the inspector, 180 my character, the movement then becomes normalized again.

Thanks