Search Unity

Parasite Eve Style Camera - New

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nebula480, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Nebula480

Nebula480

Hello there. I'm new to Unity and come from using Blender. I'd like to create a game with visuals like that of Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy and such. I'm learning little by little but I wanted to ask a question or 2 to see if I'm in the right mindset of how this would work. I would be creating my cut scenes in Blender that I would export to unity once finished. But I don't know what would be easier. Lets say I create a world where I want my character (a man) to walk through. In this case an apartment setting I just created. There's not a lot of details on yet but works for illustration purposes at the moment. I know that I would create my characters animation, walk, run cycles in Blender and also export that to unity, right? But then I saw that one is able to import the entire world from Blender to Unity, like I can import the entire apartment into unity, but wouldn't it be easier, and smoother on the resources, if I just took a picture or rendered a jpeg image from Blender into Unity of the apartment like the very one I'm showing here , and in unity I would imagine, add some sort of plane that would be invisible but would represent the the floor that the character would walk on ? I hope that makes sense, sorry if this isn't the place to ask this. I'm trying to learn. I've seen a few tutorials where the instructor develops a code on how the camera switches when the character enters a certain area and activates a trigger, but I see that that method requires importing the entire 3d apartment obj, and so is the Jpeg method possible? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

What you want to do is possible, and something a few games use to this day. There's a two part tutorial that covers how to do this going from Blender to Unity here:
    https://mehm.net/blog/?p=1211
    https://mehm.net/blog/?p=1218

They cover the export process from Blender and also things like how to handle depth values so characters can walk behind objects like furniture and whatnot.

OCASM, neoshaman and angrypenguin like this.
  3. Nebula480

Nebula480

Hey, I really appreciate your response. I'm definitely going to read into this. The video aren't playing however, but should still be a good read.

4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, the videos seem to be broken for me as well, but the advice in the text and images is solid.

Nebula480 likes this.