Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Parameter breakdown per funnel steps

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by stephero, Sep 20, 2017.

1. stephero

stephero

Hi guys,

I want to use funnels to analyse some parameters values in a specific funnel step. What I try to achieve is not complicated: I want to know the reason my players are ending a specific level.
    My funnel is :
    - Step 1 : custom event "LevelBegin"
    - Step 2 : custom event "LevelEnd"
    The "LevelEnd" custom event has a parameter "reason" (string) which tells me why my players have ended it. It can be "load next level", "start new game" or "quit game".
    Ultimately, I would like to have a pie chart showing this "reason" parameter for my funnel 2nd step. But I don't manage to do this with Unity Analytics.

First, in the funnel analyzer, I don't find a way to check the parameter at a specific funnel step.
    There is a dropdown list I can select (instead of "Conversion"), but:
    - I don't understand if it shows me the parameters for the Step 1, or for the Step 2, or both ? It seems to be both, but I can't trust the result since it will show me only one average value per parameter: does it compute an average for all funnel steps?
    - It seems to show me only number parameters. I can't select my string "reason" parameter.

Screenshot_35.jpg

So here are my questions:
    - Is it possible to get a parameter breakdown (even for string parameters) per steps in a funnel?
    - Am I doing it wrong? :) Should I do it another way?

Thanks for you recommendations.

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @stephero,

Thanks for getting in touch with this question. Looks like you're doing everything correctly...we're just not offering quite what you need in this case. In the funnel, we compute averages for all numerical parameters, but unfortunately we don't do anything to break down string variables. We do have this functionality in the Data Explorer (the pie button to the left of a custom event row), though, so depending on the particulars of your use case you might be able to view what you need there.

The funnel analyzer grabs all the numerical parameters on any step and lists them in the dropdown. This is useful when you want to track a numerical parameter across several funnel steps. If any step doesn't contain the relevant parameter, it will report as 0 in that step.

So you can see parameter breakdowns of any given numerical parameter in the analyzer, but not string ones. For that, you need to use Data Explorer.

BTW, I've shared your question with the team working on funnels. They'll consider whether they can add any helpful functionality for this case.

3. stephero

stephero

Thanks @marc_tanenbaum
    The Data Explorer is very useful to drilldown parameters values, but you can't customize it per funnel/step
    It would be very nice to have these features in the Funnel Explorer!
    Thanks you so much.

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Agreed. We'll discuss the feasibility of such a change.