Search Unity

parallax mapping on terrain?!!?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by zeropointblack, Jan 14, 2021.

1. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

any word on parallax mapping in HDRP terrain?

if its still not added after all these years, how can i add it myself? i already have it setup in shadergraph. how can i use this on HDRP terrain? kinda lame that its not included.

2. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

you can assign a HDRP layered material to Unity Terrain. And in mask map import a terrain splatmap (RGB texture ). So your Terrain will get true parallax/tessellation .

3. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

ok so ive been fiddling with this for a couple of hours. i cant get anything working. just glitches and 3 different places to change one setting which doesnt do anything anyway. terrain layer? doesnt do anything. material layer in new terrain layer? nope. also cant paint a proper splat map anymore. cant select different terrain layers in paint mode. when i did get a hint of actual parallaxing, it was a total glitchfest with no ability to tweak or fix it at all.

to clarify, im not after true height tessellation. im after the amazing effect of parallax occlusion mapping, with the ability to push it far and control all settings the same as the standard hdrp lit shader with pixel displacement active. is this not possible?

just simple, pixel displacement. the same one already there on the standard hdrp shader, but on the terrain. same as without it. layer functionality and no convoluted glitches. so what am i missing here. this seems like it should already work. believe it or not, this is a super cool effect, and tons of people would like to use it on terrain as well.

have you got this working before?

4. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

yea, i got it worked before (maybe 4 month ago)

5. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

pretty cool. how about pixel displacement? parallax mapping. not displacement mapping.

6. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Pixel displacement have artifacts on terrain while terrain have slopes etc =(

7. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

sad world.

hey do u remember if the other render pipelines work with pixel displacement on terrain?

8. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

cant remember. probably you have to buy custom solutions for that.

9. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

only for guidance:
    I have already tested the performance of the POM on terrain that has the worst performance (built-in)
    Tessellation is much better due to:
    1. The distance based culling for better performance
    2. POM bumps are in the ground and tessellation is on the ground
    4ab8c77f-715c-4f87-81cb-2df98166ca08_orig.jpg
    I have used Amplify Shader Editor.I think it's a multi pipeline shader editor
    I have not tested on HDRP yet