Search Unity

Parallax Mapping (Height Map) not working anymore after Unity update to 2021 lts

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Max_Aigner, May 16, 2022.

1. Max_Aigner

Max_Aigner

Hi there,

I am currently facing a weird problem, that occured after updating from the 2020 LTS version of unity to the 2021 LTS Version.

I have several Materials that have a heightmap assigned. The Texture tiles are repeating through the object which seems to be part of the problem.

The parallax effect (height map) seems to not anymore use the camera's transform for its effect, but rather the position of the pixels on the surface of the object itself. (on the left side of the wall, the parallax-holes are getting stretched to the left and when I move my camera to the left side of the wall and look straight at the wall, all holes look like stretched to the right, looking as if I had drilled them from left to right instead of orthogonally inwards).

So when I stand on the very left of the wall, it looks like this:
    upload_2022-5-16_12-54-52.png

And when I stand on the very right of the wall, LOOKING to the RIGHT as well, then it looks correct from that certain angle of view, but as soon as I rotate the camera to the left, the parallax does not do anything and it looks super weird.
    upload_2022-5-16_12-55-36.png

Steps to reproduce:

load this level:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/q9puzgtkvkpmz4s/Parallax demonstration.unitypackage?dl=0
    Or alternatively
    add a cube to your scene
    add a heightmap to the cube
    increase the Tiling to x 4 and y 4
    go close to the cube to see the texture
    move from left edge to right edge of the cube.