Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Parallax Diffuse Texturing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by RvBGames, Nov 15, 2013.

1. RvBGames

RvBGames

Can someone please confirm for me if the current Parallax Diffuse texturing works as advertised? Meaning, if I take textures generated by CrazyBump and place them in the three slots (Diffuse, Normal, Displacement), will I get the best image possible?

The results don't look right. There's an option in CrazyBump to change the direction of the Y-axis, which I did, and although it improved the rendering it didn't match the quality from, for example, GPU Gems 2 Chapter 8 (I believe).

There's another option in CrazyBump that allows you to put the displacement in the alpha channel of the normal map, and again I tried but still didn't achieve the fidelity I'm looking for.

Another commenter, sorry I don't have the link right now, posted in 2012 that they encountered problems with this shader. If I recall correctly, they had to place the displacement in the diffuse location, and the diffuse with height in alpha in the displacement slot in order to get it to work. I would have tried this but I have to write tool to copy the height into the diffuse alpha.

Would anyone care to share their experience with this shader?

Thank you.

2. RvBGames

RvBGames

Does anyone know the details regarding this shader?

3. RvBGames

RvBGames

No one uses this shader?