Search Unity

Paper Mario-esq Engine in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickavv, Mar 18, 2007.

1. nickavv

nickavv

How hard do you think it would be for me to make a Paper Mario engine in Unity? The characters and things could just be planes with animated textures applied to them. I s'pose they wouldn't be rigidbodies, since that would make them fall flat on their faces (or backs, depending on PhysX's mood). Then there's dialog bubbles. I've never thought about how they would work in Unity (the words typing themselves in typewriter style as the bubble is open), but I'm sure it's doable. And then there's battling, which would probably give me a run for my money (that's why this forum exists though). And inventories, which I've never done in any game, 2D or otherwise. :p So... what do you guys think? For someone of my skill level, is it possible (Of course, RaceCraft is still my first priority once I buy Unity, so no worries Targos)? See ya!

Moldorma

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

You can make anything in Unity. This is definitely possible and probably not even that hard. I don't know what your skill level is though. To make it fun and have complete control while developing you will need to go away from the physics engine and code all the interactions yourself.

The rendering of the different dimensions could be done in Unity fairly easily. just some camera tricks for going between ortho and normal.

Word bubbles are very doable, just some careful coding with strings. Add a letter to a new string every 0.05 sec depending on a growing index int.

You have to realize that even though paper mario is fairly simple, it is a full and complete game. Making any game that is large and complex presents a massive challenge. It will take time and patience. Finish race craft first! :)

3. nickavv

nickavv

Yeah, I know! ;P I think my first goal would be "Get Unity!" though. I blew all of my money on a Wii.