Search Unity

Panel: How to get rounded corners? Also gradient

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Nanako, May 17, 2015.

1. Nanako

Nanako

So i'm trying to create a squareish menu panel, with slightly rounded off corners. I made a UI Panel for this, and it comes with a rounded-square texture by default.

That... doesn't look right. The resolution is horribly low, far too little for my purposes. Also a bit too rounded
    I could make a bigger image, but i feel this would be a hackish and very bad solution, i might have to go to pointlessly absurd lengths to prevent aliasing.

Is there a more systematic way to do this?

Without a souce image, and with an outline added, i managed this: http://i.gyazo.com/55c24546fe9571e28ce27501de6a0e42.png

It's very clean-edged, but its also completely square. I'd like to round it off a bit

I'd also love to make it a gradient from one corner to another, instead of a solid colour. How might i do that?

What i'd like to achieve, at least for testing purposes, is something like these menu panels:

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

you need to use a sliced sprite for your image. Go into the sprite editor and you can define the border pixels on your sprite so it doesn't stretch. You should be able to get what you need with a low resolution sprite.

Nanako likes this.
  3. keraj37

keraj37

Exactly.

4. Nanako

Nanako

so sliced sprites seem pretty amazing
    what about the gradient, must i use an image for that tpoo? is there any more systematic way to accomplish it before i break out my custom tinting shader for a ui panel?

5. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I have done this in the past by applying the gradient to the centre of the sprite. If you use a greyscale gradient you can use a colour multiplier.

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Scaling the object is also worth playing with. Scaling gives a different appearance to setting the size. Not sure if its relevant for images, but its definitely useful for getting decent resolutions out of Text.