Search Unity

Painting Textures on terrain is black!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Shadowing, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Shadowing

Shadowing

So i ran into this issue tonight and its driving me insane.

When I paint some textures on the terrain they are black
    I can't find anyone else having this issue other than one guy that ended with a dead lead to a fix.

Picture below

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Ducaticoder likes this.
  2. DMorock

DMorock

Yes, it's an old post, but I had the same issue, ad it seems here is no answer.
    So...
    Don't know, what is exactly the problem, but I create a new terrain layer, paint a bit and then delete that layer, and black areas dissapeared. May be it will be usefull for someone who have the problem too.

Ducaticoder likes this.
  3. Shadowing

Shadowing

The problem is caused from when you paint a texture and then if that texture ever gets removed from the Terrain texture list it will show up as black.

4. MathewHI

MathewHI

Where is the terrain texture list? Is that the same as Terrain Layers in the terrain inspector with the paintbrush icon?

5. Shadowing

Shadowing

6. MathewHI

MathewHI

I never removed any of the textures and they still show as black textures on a terrain. I can only paint the base terrain texture then everything else shows as black. My belief is that my problem has something to do with lighting/baked lighting but I can't figure it out. I removed all lightmaps but I'm thinking its a setting on the terrain itself somewhere.

7. Shadowing

Shadowing

Are you using CTS (Complete Terrain Shader)?
    Must have another terrain tool where your textures are not in sync with. Would have to be a shader I would think to make them black like that. Or some sort of texture spawner system maybe.

8. MathewHI

MathewHI

I posted this in another thread and someone told me to change textures to full res in Quality settings and that worked.

9. Shadowing

Shadowing

That doesn't make sense lol.
    so if your players want lower textures the black will show up again?
    Shouldn't matter.

Sounds like that just hid the issue but wasn't a fix.
    what happens when you turn quality settings back to what it was?

10. MathewHI

MathewHI

yeah I'm making a flying game so I didn't care about low res ground textures, he said after you paint the textures you can change it back to what you want but I haven't tried that yet.

11. Shadowing

Shadowing

Ya black on the ground means its missing a texture that used to be there.
    So say you painted a texture on the ground and then later on removed that texture from your list of terrain textures then anywhere you painted that texture will show up black.

12. The_Mean_Fiddler

The_Mean_Fiddler

13. Shadowing

Shadowing

Actually I had a problem where I couldn't paint textures and setting textures to full res fixed it. I have a huge problem now where all my textures are blurry,
    Using 2019.2.18

14. Coderious

Coderious

Hi, I had the same issue.

Instead of creating the layer from the terrain layer tool, I created the layer from the project manager (right click > Create Terain Layer). This seems to work.

15. team_enso

team_enso

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, this worked for me. And you can bring it back to Half Res or Quarter after painting the textures. I believe it is required for CTS since my terrain rendering is handled by CTS Component.

16. Darlingr68

Darlingr68

I had this problem with black areas when painting terrain as well as turning the entire sky black. Turns out even with the HDRP, you can only add up to 8 terrain layers. Any textures above 8 and it paints black and breaks the system.

past12pm likes this.
  17. karrrrl

karrrrl

You are all wrong and I'm right: you need to "Clear Baked Data" in the lighting tab upload_2022-11-22_19-30-18.png

Anthroventure likes this.
  18. Anthroventure

Anthroventure

@Shadowing

Howdy, I've just run into a very similar problem where painting textures results in black areas, or red/blue sparkling bits when zoomed in. I clocked in the texture example square to bring up its location in the assets and then modified the metallic setting. When I moved the sliders around a bit, the black went away and left the texture correctly visible.

19. Wysel

Wysel

It's most likely a result of a limit of number of texture layers that can be used by a terrain, which appears to be just 8 at the moment.

20. PraveenBalu

PraveenBalu

CHANGE QUALITY SETTINGS AND TEXTURE RESOULTION TO FULL > SORRY FOR CAPS