Search Unity

Paint Details Issues

Discussion in 'World Building' started by DesomondoDC, Aug 25, 2019.

1. DesomondoDC

DesomondoDC

Hi all,

Fairly new to unity and at this stage just playing around with the tools and trying to get a feel for how they work and what I can and can't do with them straight of the box.

What I am having trouble with though is the Paint Details option. When I am painting the grass, it's not clumping it together at all - no matter what the settings in the inspector or the details are. Same thing with the rocks. I can get some to work sometimes, but then try to paint them elsewhere and they don't paint.

Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong? I've tried different assets for the rocks - some work sometimes and others don't work at all. All the grasses seem to work exactly the same way no matter what I do.

Have attached a file to show what is happening.

Attached Files:

2. OmegaJawZ

OmegaJawZ

Hello,

Depending on the version of Unity you are using the terrain tool will be different. From my experience since I use 2018.4.1 primarily, the solution should be under "Paint Details". As a quick note the grass I use can be found in the "Standard Assets" package.

Steps:
    • Click "Paint Details" in the Terrain Inspector
    • Under this you will want to click "Edit Details..."
    • Then choose "Grass Texture"
    • Once the new menu pops up click the circle at the end of "Detail Texture"
    • Then choose your texture, in my case I just typed in grass to fins mine
    • Then click "Add"
    • Now you should be able to paint with that texture
    The reason for yours being so spread out could be due to the texture you used. Not sure if this answered your question. Hope this helps though!

3. DesomondoDC

DesomondoDC

Thanks Omega. I'm working with 2019.3 I believe (sorry - not at home at the moment so can't check). And I have been using the above method to get the grasses (I've tried multiple grasses from different assets on the store - not sure if I've tried the unity grasses). I've downloaded both the new tools and the new assets for terrain and have been using that setup. Do you know of any free textures available that work that I could test with?

I've also noted a similar issue being discussed in this thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/detail-density-issue-after-upgrading-from-2018-2-to-2019-1.682324/

I think this is what is causing the problems. The density was already set to 1 and I've increased the resolution much higher to see if that makes a difference (maxed out). And although it does, it's still nothing like what mrtenda is able to achieve in either image.

This seems to be a bigger issue though. Because grass and rocks etc use the same paint option, changing those settings for each of the different objects looks as though it will affect the other. IE - if you set everything to full to get nice clumps of grass (if it worked properly), you will also get a mass of rocks (which I have tested and confirmed).

Not sure why it doesn't work the same way as trees where you can paint with certain settings and just continue to click on the same spot to add more and more trees to 'clump' them together.